A move from XP to Windows 7, not so easy.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wareco, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Agreed, for a trading OS, 7 does not offer anything over XP as far as I can tell.

#11     Jul 23, 2009
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Please list the brokers that support Linux...

Otherwise just wait until W7' first SP comes out or when you buy a new computer.

#12     Jul 23, 2009
  3. dnz

dnz

4. Frankly if Microsoft can't make it easy for me to upgrade from XP to Win 7, then when I do upgrade I think I'll go to Apple. To hell with them.

OldTrader

PS I recently bought a MacBook Pro and love it.

#14     Jul 23, 2009
  5. Someone said a reinstall on XP has to be done once in a while anyway.

I have owned Windows machines since Win 95, and I think I may have done a reinstall once. May have, long long ago.

I install and delete HUNDREDS of programs and drivers. It is considered catastrophic to reinstall from scratch and is done only in a dire emergency and by NOOBS and computer illiterates.

That said, I have avoided building a new BOX for a few years since I do not enjoy reinstalling all my work , and XP does not like being moved to a new motherboard. It can be done , but its hit and miss.

When 7 hits the street , I will spend the huge money it takes to buy a new box, and start from scratch.

Figure I'll get 8-10X the computer speed out of it, which is what happens when you upgrade from a 286.

#15     Jul 23, 2009
  6. old trader, there will be no auto upgrade from xp. just too many differences.

you would have to install apps from scratch. data is trivial to back up and copy over.

I would not let that stop you. If you are building a new machine , or want the latest tech, W7 is pretty much a no brainer

#16     Jul 23, 2009
  7. new$

new$

Usb 3 and sata III ,etc will soon be on MB's-

Wait for hardware improvements.

#17     Jul 23, 2009
  8. mokwit

mokwit

I would have thought that when moving a box you could reinstall fairly painlessly and have XP recognise all the new components during installation - I plan to do this by upgrading to SP3 when I move boxes - anything wrong with this approach?

As for Win 7 the question is : What will it allow me to do that i can't do with XP and is that worth the hassle/risk of upgrading?

#18     Jul 23, 2009
  9. We are late adaptors. We recently migrated the backup / development machine to Windows 7 from XP professional. Liked it enough to upgrade the production (trading) machine to Vista Ultimate with service pack 2 after having gone through the learning curve on the development machine first. ( Would not consider moving to a newly released OS - wait until it matures, at least until SP1, preferably to SP2. )

With sufficent hardware it runs nice and Microsoft, as usual, has started to built in some nice features that one had previously to buy seperately.

Two things to watch out for: Outlook express has been renamed Windows mail in Vista and stores the emails totally differently than before. Then in Windows 7 there is no email software at all. Resorted to buying Outlook 2007. The built in backup of files & folders in Vista Ultimate does not back up any install or executable programs that you may have in your personal data.... many are complaining about this.

Search in Vista / Windows 7 is a different animal from XP, and it also searches your email. Very fast and effective.

Search takes a few days to settle down to your habits but afterwards it is real nice to use.

Maria

#19     Jul 24, 2009
  10. mokwit

mokwit

Hi, while you're here, where does XP store emails ? - I think I knew once but can't remember where.

#20     Jul 24, 2009