A Modest Proposal-- Feds Pay Off Mortgages

Discussion in 'Economics' started by marketsurfer, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Not that I'm arguing with ya, but taxes are going to 75% (if you make 50K or more!) anyways.

Just think how much $$ they can raise.... all assets taxed (house, car, boat, guitar, jewelry etc etc.)
    Fun!

#11     Jun 23, 2009
  2. Dumbest thread ever. My brother is worth ~$50MM and has a 1MM primary on one of his 6 homes. He uses the funds to speculate in the futures markets. You're suggesting he receive a bailout?

As has been suggested; the EUR/USD would open at 2.00.

#12     Jun 23, 2009
  3. Damn Surf, I only proposed taking all existing mortgages and allowing the homeowners to refi through the FED at 30 yr, 1% fixed.

#13     Jun 23, 2009
  4. If your bro is worth 50mm I will blow you in Yankee stadium on the pitchers mound in front of a sellout crowd.

My bro is worth 500mm so there!

#14     Jun 23, 2009
  5. We're headed for a depression.

I've never been more convinced. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime.

#15     Jun 23, 2009
  6. what would the long term effect by of the eur/usd opening at 2.00?

why not, what the big deal about your brother in law getting a bailout his million paid off or forgiven? my ex brother in law is worth more than that,who cares, there shouldnt be any discrimination....

surf

#16     Jun 23, 2009

7. atticus is telling the truth.

surf

#17     Jun 23, 2009
  8. Didn't you get enough during Fleet Week last month?

#18     Jun 23, 2009
  9. Pucker up, he was worth one billion USD during the bubble

Now, back to the topic. The problem with absolution is that it helps the rich as well, who are relatively unaffected, and any bailout will not impact spending by the rich.

Wiping revolving/unsecured debt of <$50k would go a long way, providing those accounts were closed at zero-balance.

#19     Jun 23, 2009
  10. Hey RA,

Did he make it trading (hedge fund type) or was he at a tech startup?

#20     Jun 23, 2009