A mentor for forming and marketing FX hedge funds

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by OddTrader, Feb 15, 2008.

1. I think initially a pure SMA type (hedge fund) structure would be a preferable option, mainly due to minimum paperwork and simple operations, particularly when following the business model of Oanda's FXManager platform. My understanding is SMAs are also fairly commonly acceptable by FoFs for the sake of safety of funds and transparency.

For the pool type structure (most likely allowing SMAs concurrently) of hedge funds, it has the unique potential of going IPO when it grows to a certain size. However, too much paperwork, manpower or services from various providers would be required. A pool fund is not my preference for now.

#11     Feb 16, 2008
  2. Why would you want to enter before EU starts trading ?
    Thanks,

#12     Feb 16, 2008
  3. When trading with my systems based on actual trading results, my own analysis has found no particular statistical evidence for whether or not entering orders before EU would be better/ worse, over a long period of time.

Since I live in Asia Pacific timezone, I don't have to wait until EU starting (therefore more free/ usable hours during the day, without any interruption or serious work in the afternoon when EU starts) for the market orders which could encounter connection problems (other than wider spread ) with the Oanda platform. Oanda's spread would be quite stable and small before EU starts.

In case of any Internet connection problem, I can have more than enough time to fix the problem (or call to the platform's trading desk staff) for entering orders before EU starts.

Besides, possibly, entering market orders and running a FX fund located in Asia timezone would be an advantage (for diversification purpose) for some EU/ US institutions (in case of any big news hapenning in Asia).

#13     Feb 16, 2008
  4. #14     Feb 16, 2008
  5. We don't have to call it a fund at its early stage. Call it whatever you like.

My understanding is probably only a POA would be required initially with individual clients, while the total number of clients is small.

https://fx1.oanda.com/ma/index.shtml

#15     Feb 16, 2008
  6. Any updates on your progress OddTrader?

#16     Mar 11, 2008
  7. I would be interested in how you go about recruiting clients if you go the managed accounts route.

I currently have people that pay me a fixed monthly fee for helping them auto trade Forex, but would rather manage a large fund.

I also have over a years real money results. I don't have a series 7 or anything else but would be willing to pass the tests if it leads to recruiting clients.

The problem with asking questions here is that only 10% of us actually make money trading and out of that probably only 1 - 2% manage other peoples money.

#17     Mar 11, 2008
  8. I think my concern in managing money for a forex fund, would be the safety of funds issue. It'd be one thing to just trade bad but another if the broker went down with all your clients funds.

So what do you do to protect yourself? What brokers do those of you who are doing this use?

#18     Mar 11, 2008
  9. Hi B, yes definitely I'd proceed, gradually and slowly. Otherwise too boring. However too much work ahead needs to do now. Anyway good fun though, I think. Thanks for asking.

Good questions. I'll improve this aspect after starting the program first.

Hi OW

imo, the MA structure due to minimum work involved, relatively, is good enough for a start-up before converting it to a HF.

Marketing a MA program should be much easier than a HF, I would guess.

Publishing/ listing performance data on HF/ CTA web sites would be an effective way to promote the service and recruit clients, according to my previous communications with other ET members with PMs. They are professional money managers for many years.

#19     Mar 11, 2008
  10. Just PM'ed you. We work with a hedge fund group and and do the due diligence/risk monitoring for all their FX traders.

#20     Mar 11, 2008