A majority of Americans want pot legalized

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, May 6, 2009.

1. A majority of Americans, in a poll released Wednesday, say it "makes sense to tax and regulate" marijuana. The Zogby poll, commissioned by the conservative-leaning O'Leary Report, surveyed 3,937 voters and found 52 percent in favor of legalization. Only 37 percent opposed.

A previous ABC News/Washington Post poll found 46 percent in support. In California, a Field Poll found 56 percent backing legalization.

Responding to the poll at a press conference Tuesday, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger called for an open debate on legalization.

Voters were asked: "Scarce law enforcement and prison resources, a desire to neutralize drug cartels and the need for new sources of revenue have resurrected the topic of legalizing marijuana. Proponents say it makes sense to tax and regulate the drug while opponents say that legalization would lead marijuana users to use other illegal drugs. Would you favor or oppose the government's effort to legalize marijuana?"

2. Republicans are desperately looking for something to make them relevant. Here it is. I would argue that pot legalization would be far more acceptable to the social conservatives than the ideas being pushed now by party elites, like accepting the radical gay agenda or dropping the pro-life position.

3. I don't smoke dope, but there are worse things going on.

4. I don't get this. How can we legalize pot when every industry requires drug tests, people on probation, etc. This would be havoc with ins liability. What about 2nd hand pot smoke?

Chrissakes, they want to limit smoking tobacco re 2nd hand smoke near children, yada yada and the push in on to smoke pot. I say go for it.

5. When they put a sales tax on it, it becomes a HUGE revenue generator. Studies already estimate a $1 Billion gain in tax revenues in California.

6. dsq

dsq

Not to mention the many more billions saved/not wasted on incarcerating people.
    Imagine the stupidity of jailing people for using beer or wine?You'd have to arrest 3/4 of the state.Thats how stupid it is to arrest pot users.Most law enforcement tell you that drunks are the worst pain in ass and potheads are passive.

I dont endorse or condone either habit but if you are going to arrest one group you should arrest the other as well.

7. If this recession spirals into a depression anything is possible, but I think the far right would go bat shit. Try to remember the the good ol' U.S. of A. is the same country that thought alcohol prohibition was a good idea. You could argue the sanity of incarcerating your own population with 50% of the drugs on the scheduled list. I don't know what makes pot any different other than popularity. Why would old people or bible thumpers change their views? They have a lot of votes, just ask George Bush :D

8. I never quite understood how the government can tell you that you can't own a certain type of plant.

It is certainly no worse for you than alcohol or tobacco and its social consequences are considerably less than alcohol.

Here is a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1HtfQZXl6U

9. auspiv

auspiv

I never quite understood how the government can tell you what you can and can't do with your own body.

10. dsq

dsq

it should be decriminalized whatever they decide.Imagine if alcohol was criminalized?Oh yeah,prohibition.An era that produced gangsters,high crime.Sound familiar?

#10     May 7, 2009