A little inspiration: Top 25 Hedgers.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by adadadog, Apr 4, 2010.

1. And underwriting the Democratic Party.

BTW No one can possibly have an accurate number for his total wealth.

#11     Apr 5, 2010
  2. If he gives away large amounts year on year for 3 decades, he loses out on 1-30 years of compounding on the money he donated. Just run up a spreadsheet and compare 30% per annum returns with no withdrawals for 30 years, vs withdrawing a % of equity each year.

#12     Apr 5, 2010
  3. He didn't hit 1B in AUM until 1990. Your attempt to prove the impossible is entertaining. Assume Buffett reinvested every dime and the same with Gates, Slim, etc. You're argument is ridiculous, although Buffett is a poor example, as he has probably re-invested more than 99% of his cap-gains and income.

He's donated $4B. His fund has produced roughly $30B in gains to date for ALL investors in Soros' funds (source is Barclay FoF prospectus from 2008).

#13     Apr 5, 2010
  4. poyayan

poyayan

Not quite. 1 * (1-0.22) * (1+0.196) = 0.933

Still down almost 7%

#14     Apr 5, 2010
  5. Forbes says Soros has donated 7 billion since 1979. I wonder if its possible that he is losing money somewhere else. Perhaps he is hedging in another account that nobody knows about...that way if he does pick a loser, the hedge protects him from losses. Then if he lost money in his quantum fund he takes the money from the hedged account, puts it in the quantum fund, fudges the transaction a bit and says he didnt lose money and nobody is the wiser. Then more people invest with the quantum fund and he takes huge cuts from the profits which he then uses to hedge next year in the hidden account.

Thats just one theory though that could explain where all those billions go.

#15     Apr 5, 2010

6. Dont be rediculous. Only the too big to fails are allowed to do things like that

#16     Apr 5, 2010
  7. PBS interview stated he donated $4B to the antichrist, but $7B is all the better! I knew I loved 'ol George.

#17     Apr 5, 2010