A Lack Of Rigor Leaves Students 'Adrift' In College : NPR

Discussion in 'Economics' started by hippie, Feb 13, 2011.

1. From AP:

#31     Feb 14, 2011
  2. It's incredibly sad and I'm inclined to believe it. A smaller percentage of high school graduates can actually claim to have received a high school education...From what I gather, these students probably never learned basic algebra, forget about calculus (which went I went to college was intro math)...

Maybe a few of you guys remember that film Stand and Deliver with Edward James Olmos. To this day, it still seems to be one of the most remarkable accomplishments in a blighted public school system. Entire classes of AP Calculus students scoring 4's and 5's on that test. In probably 90% of other public schools with the same socio-economic profiles, I'd be willing to wager that graduating seniors could barely get past Algebra, nevermind AP Calculus.

#32     Feb 14, 2011
  3. Here is a better place for students to do their remedial classes for free instead wasting precious time and resources in college.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/02/13/yes-the-khan-academy-is-the-future-of-education-video/

http://www.khanacademy.org/

#33     Feb 14, 2011
  4. Again today, Obama talked about he wants America to have the highest graduate rate in the world. Simple, just lower the standards, everyone graduates. Now graduated from HS or college doesn't mean that one learned anything, it simply means that one has gone through the process.

#34     Feb 15, 2011
  5. In many colleges, the largest classes are in "remedial... English and math"... things they should have learned in middle school.

#35     Feb 15, 2011
  6. In many colleges, the largest classes are in "remedial... English and math"...
    -----------------------------------------------------------

What colleges are those?

I attended both Loyola and University of Chicago......the only ones in remedial English were foreign students for the most part, brushing up on their English skills?

UT, A&M, UCLA, - other top institutions where friends went, Remedial Math and English are not a large part of the student body.

I have to believe that those stats are from Junior Colleges and places like KELLER SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, as well as typical low level State Universities.

I'm not saying that Universities teach proper subjects as most brain wash. But I find it hard to believe that many have the largest classes size in Remedial Studies.

#36     Feb 15, 2011
  7. jem

jem

i can't speak to the quality of the college education...

but one night I was out in downtown san diego, with a client from the netherlands, as we were watching the women walk by from outside the the irish pub, he said the women in San Diego were fat.

I was dumbfounded, because when I moved here in the late 80s, the women as a group were far thinner than the women back east.

I surmised they did not put on the freshman 15 because many had to be able to wear a bikini year round.

But, my client was right. young women, the ones who used to be in great shape walking around downtown, were now out of shape.

something is very wrong with america... when the young women in San diego are out of shape. It could have been a small sample size but others seem to concur.

perhaps the thin women go somewhere else now... I do not make it out that often as I have 4 kids.

#37     Feb 15, 2011
  8. kayakfly

kayakfly

RU joking? maybe if you like working 16 hour days, putting your hand in disgusting places, smelling blood and guts all day and paying 200k for malpractice insurance.

MD is potentially the stupidist degree any smart person can pursue. the upside is extraordinarily small for the work demanded.

#38     Feb 15, 2011
  9. Who knows nowadays. I know that at a large state university, there are more options for students to take remedial classes as they have to accommodate athletes and such. Some schools will create a "general studies" major and just fast track the athletes into those courses, oftentimes the requirements are minimal and much of the classroom time is spent with tutors instead.

I'm pretty confident that a bad student could find these majors at what are considered the top public universities in the country. UNC, UVA, Michigan, etc...

#39     Feb 15, 2011
  10. The young men are no better. They all eat the same junk food and drink the same bear or soda.

America is producing unhealthy, semi-literate GRADUATES with a big sense of entitlement. There may be a few exceptions here and there...

#40     Feb 15, 2011