A Knoxville conservative columnist endorses Ford

Discussion in 'Politics' started by james_bond_3rd, Oct 12, 2006.

1. One, can you demonstrate that the GOP has more corrupt members than the Dems? Doubtful.

The article was an ad hominem attack on Ford's opponent. The article is indefensible in that regard. Period. End of story.

This is where your lack of logic makes you look partisan and foolish. When comparing relative merits, i.e. in an election, Strawman is a PERFECTLY ethical argument. If one says vote for A instead of B because B's a scumbag then A's history of scumminess ALSO becomes an issue. Why? Because you're asking one to make a relative choice.

If one made the statement "you should leave A for San Diego because San Diego has great weather" is that not an invitation to argue the relative merits of A's weather compared to SD? Is saying SD is smoggier and colder then a strawman or ad hominem attack on SD. Not at all.

If the author had endorsed Ford WITHOUT the attack on Corker then there'd be no argument. But the author introduced ethics into a CONTEST between two candidates. Ford's "circle" then becomes as relevant as Corker's.

#11     Oct 12, 2006
  2. So if the article was an ad hominem attack, your use of ad hominem attack on Ford was wrong as well....

No way around it, you didn't do the right thing....

You set the bar to the lowest level, your typical approach.

I think the high road would give you nosebleeds...

#12     Oct 12, 2006
  3. You must be joking!

[​IMG]

#13     Oct 12, 2006
  4. How about statistics? (they're hard to find)

Being that you're from Jersey and me from Illinois 95% of the indicted politicians from our two states have been Democrats.

P.S. Little known fact. Did you know MURTA WAS INDICTED IN ABSCAM!!! I just read that. He turned witness and wasn't prosecuted! Jeezus!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/indepth_coverage/law/corruption/history.html

#14     Oct 12, 2006
  5. I can hardly think of a more relevant issue than the fact that Ford is the scion of a corrupt political machine. Democrats, with their history of being in bed with mobbed up unions and corrupt big city political machines, are obviously comfortable with this type of politician. Most voters are not.

On the other hand, Ford will certainly fit in well with Harry Reid. Maybe they can do some Vegas land deals together.

#15     Oct 13, 2006
  6. What do you guys think about Ford portraying himself as an attorney for the last 8 years when in fact he never passed his bar exam?

#16     Oct 13, 2006
  7. =============
    Pabst Prime;
    good points

Well ,mr Ford did have enough sense to campaign a large synagog in TN, years ago ;
    with a very diverse group that day.Israeli flags were flying, and had my Israel flag also.

However of all the people i met, talked/listened to that day,in the synagog;
    dont care for mr Fords voting record, simply supports big ,overweight gov to much.Pretends to be a moderate

Much prefer a honest , consistant TAX -CUTTER democrat like US Senator Zell Miller:cool::p

#17     Oct 13, 2006
  8. =========
    That maybe a simple political hedge so to speak;
    he can deny/confuse the issue [pretend not ] on being an attorney:D

#18     Oct 13, 2006
  9. Do you have any evidence that he even took the bar exam, and failed?

Ford received his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996.

Many people who get law degrees don't bother to practice law, they have other intentions....like political office.

By the way, U of M is not an easy school to get law degree from. George Bush tried to get into the University of Houston Law School, but couldn't make the grade...that's why his old man got him into Harvard MBA program, which is one of the easiest programs on earth once you get in. Getting in is the hard part...but when your daddy is the head of the CIA things go better with Coke.

#19     Oct 13, 2006
  10. Ford and Bush are both examples of privilege. I will admit that Bush is a much more despicable person than Ford ever will be, but that still doesn't negate the fact that Ford couldn't pass a bar exam. I also don't understand what Bush has to do with the Ford bar exam scandal. Without a doubt Ford is more articulate than Bush and is probably more intelligent. That doesn't give Ford a pass and allow him to embellish his resume. As for the validity of the story, it has been reported in numerous publications around Tennessee.

http://www.wbir.com/news/regional/story.aspx?storyid=38475&provider=rss

Z, just because someone criticizes a democrat politician doesn't mean they are a right-wing republican. Both sides are equally worthless and are actively destroying the country.

#20     Oct 13, 2006