A History of Economics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rowenwood, Feb 29, 2004.

1. nevermind

#11     Mar 1, 2004
  2. sjp

sjp

Rowenwood,

I am currently writing a book myself about this very topic. It is a little too advanced (and perhaps longwinded) to summarise in this space, but forward me a cheque for 50 dollars and I'll send you a copy.

It is indeed the definitive work of our time.

Interested?

Yours
    Economic History writing Trader

#12     Mar 1, 2004
  3. Some of the books mentioned above are quite interesting.

In addition, I would recommend Triumph of the Optimist for a history of markets.

Jim Rogers used to teach a class at Columbia where he would bring students through a particular boom-bust in history for each class. That is a great way of teaching markets IMHO - revisit the battlefields.

The big survey books on boom-bust (MacKay et al) are nice and concise, but I find it interesting to study each boom-bust in depth as well. eg barings crisis 1890, cotton during US civil war, Taiwan 1980s, Kuwait 1970s .... there is a list somewhere out on the web I believe.

#13     Mar 1, 2004
  4. I'm interested, and congratulations for your soon to be had completion. I know what an amazing accomplishment it is to write a book.

I'm just finishing reading A History of Warfare by John Keegan. Once I finish I will be reading a TA book I already own so I won't be reading an economics history book for another few months. But in a few months I will consider sending you $50 for your book.

When do you expect to finish? How long is it? If you can offer us a gist please do.

Also I'm curious to know your background as far as education, experience, et cetera. This kind of info helps me understand what I need to do. Thanks

#14     Mar 1, 2004