A History of Economics

Discussion in 'Economics' started by rowenwood, Feb 29, 2004.

1. I need recommedations for well written history books that cover the history of economics, or the history of the economies of western civilizations, or the history the US economy. Thanks

2. wallaby

wallaby

3. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

By far the most tiring and rewarding read I have ever had, over 300 years later and its principles still apply. As far as I'm concerned, it is the markets' equivalent to the "Art of War". All of yesterday's and today's noteworthy market books (including Livermore) got their substance from the bedrock of this book. Several years after reading it, I was told that it was required reading for GSCO traders in the late 80's and early 90's...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/051788433X/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6727296-1592169#reader-page

Good luck and happy reading.

4. Before you get bogged down with 20+ amazon links here are two more from someone who has read pretty heavily on the subject

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/002-2507683-4604835?v=glance&s=books

That one is the one most colleges were using for their "history of economic thought" classes a few years back. Its pretty impressive for a college text which normally are pretty dry.

This one below would be my personal recommendation though.

Cheers.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-2507683-4604835?v=glance&s=books

5. If history of economic thoughts is like history of financial thoughts

"I have been struck recently by the disconnect between the worldview expressed by these economic and finance papers, and the view that I was seeing by standing on trading floors and talking with investment professionals"
    -- Beyond Equilibrium and Rationality [by J. Doine farmer - Santa Fe Institute]

... then it is just fairy tale for college students :D

It seems that the majority of books are written by copying one on each other like experts in economic forecasts, only a few are really inquiring about TRUE history of economics like only a few know that the financial official theory of market's efficiency is a fake.

One of them is Antony Sutton:

"Antony C. Sutton was a research fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and an economics professor at California State University , Los Angeles . He was the author of 21 books, including Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler . "

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/store/books.html

"AMERICA'S SECRET ESTABLISHMENT:
    An Introduction to the Order of Skull & Bones "

by
    Antony C. Sutton

Breaking 170 years of secrecy, this intriguing exposé takes a behind-the-scenes look at Yale's mysterious society, the Order of the Skull and Bones, and its prominent members, numbering among them Tafts, Rockefellers, Pillsburys, and Bushes. Explored is how Skull and Bones initiates have become senators, judges, cabinet secretaries, spies, titans of finance and industry, and even U.S. presidents, including George W. Bush. This book reveals that far from being a campus fraternity, the society is more concerned with the success of its members in the postcollegiate world. Included are a verified membership list, rare reprints of original Order materials revealing the interlocking power centers dominated by Bonesmen, and a peek inside the Tomb, their 140-year-old private clubhouse.

6. I don't understand. What do you mean by the following sentence.

"... then it is a just fairy tale for college students."

Nevermind you just posted two more senteces, and now I get it.

7. Avalanche talked about college books "Its pretty impressive for a college " so I answered upon that :D

8. Oh, I was thinking that you were saying that academic economics is a fairy tale in comparison to actually occuring economics which seems quite right. Or is that what you were refering to. I'm tired.

#10     Mar 1, 2004