A High Income Strategy for a Retirement Portfolio

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jodistrict, Apr 19, 2010.

1. "For income only" includes cannibalization of principle... BFD. You can have "50% income" if you don't mind wiping out your principle* in 2 years.

* The concept of "principle" is irrelevant once a contract is annuitized... all you get is the company's "unsecured promise to pay".

Annuites are (1) complex, and (2) slanted in value toward the company. Caveat Emptor!

#31     Apr 20, 2010
  2. spindr0

spindr0

If you die, w/o a death benefit rider, you get the principal less withdrawals. With a death benefit rider, you'd be locking in higher achieved values during the lifetime of the contract. If so inclined, you can get around the death benefit rider by doing the shortest contracts (usually 3-4 years) and rolling the contract to another (or even back into the same, but a new one).

The VA's annual withdrawal amount is usually equal to the GRIP/GRIB (5-7%). AFAIK, if I needed income, I 'd take withdrawals until the sub account value was nearly depleted and then annuitize.

#32     Apr 20, 2010
  3. As I previously stated: modern annuties don't annuitize! They have guaranteed withdrawal benefits (riders). Yes you eat principal or gains if you have any.

Yes the are complex. Yes they are profitable. Why else would they be sold??? But people love the idea of having a check that's "guaranteed" by a highly rated insurance company.

#33     Apr 20, 2010
  4. Like I said, annuities are "complex". Your understanding needs to be better if you get serious money involved.

#34     Apr 20, 2010
  5. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. You clearly don't understand the product.

#35     Apr 20, 2010
  6. spindr0

spindr0

Wiping out your principal in two years? If you believe that then you also don't understand variable annuities.

#36     Apr 20, 2010

7. LOL. That's what I said before.

#37     Apr 20, 2010
  8. spindr0

spindr0

Ever get the feeling you're talking to someone with tunnel vision? :)

Since you're far more proficient at explaining the details than I, I'm going to leave it to you to argue with the misinformed.

#38     Apr 20, 2010
  9. whats so difficult to understand. they market a 6% guarantee. then they charge 1% to manage it. but wait do you want your heirs to get a benefit if you die?that option will cost 1% more and on and on with fees, net result you recieve about 3% and you lost control of your money. why?

here is a similar product to what my friend bought. i dont remember all the exact details anymore it was 4 years ago. do some research and get back to me with your analysis:
    http://www.axa.com/lib/en/uploads/presspresentation/2004/ny/AXA_Presse_200409_NY_Annuity.pdf

#39     Apr 20, 2010
  10. I've had them and invested in them for 20 years for clients... likely I understand them better than you.

Hint: "Whithdrawal" and "payment" are not the same as "return".

#40     Apr 20, 2010