A hedge fund reportedly hemorrhaged $1 billion in August because it bet on Argentina before the coun

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by trader99, Sep 6, 2019.

1. trader99

trader99

2. Nobert

Nobert

,,... investments included Argentina's 100-year government bond ...''

o_O

Ouch indeed

GregorySG9 and trader99 like this.
  3. fan27

fan27

"Still, Gibbins stands by the investment decisions and Autonomy has even offered clients the ability to add money to the fund, the Journal said."

In order words, "we just lost 20% of our fund on one position. Send us more money."

These people have no shame.

GRULSTMRNN and Nobert like this.
  4. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

I don't get it...that's how the hedge fund business works. Look at Bill Ackman. He's not the best trader but he knows how to drum up money if he gets his balls kicked by the market.

How much did he lose on Valeant? How many investment conferences did he speak at to convince people that his position in the Enron of Pharma was a good bet?

You guys need to stop comparing your lousy stop loss based gambling in the ES to the titans of the industry. They don't trade better than you, they just know how to make more money from what they do.

jys78 likes this.
  5. Nobert

Nobert

No we don't need to. As long as we are polite & within limits of forum rules.

p.s if you point out someone's flaw in your opinion - give a solution/cure for the problem as well. Otherwise - pointing it out is worthless.

That's rude.:wtf:

How do you know that ?

Titans ? If you say so :

Screenshot (440).png

They went even lower by now. Hmnnn, haven't of an athlete who is number 200 in the world & named as titan... :rolleyes:

That's correlating with time horizon (how long one is in the business, given the fact, if one knows well what he does)
    index.png

I absolutely agree with you on this one.

Just the message of yours, had - few ,,incorrect'' points.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

They know how to market themselves. They convince people by taking your money they are joining an exclusive club. In reality, people should be following the wise advice of Grouch Marx, who said I don't want to be a member of a club that would take me as a member.

MrMuppet, fan27 and Nobert like this.
  7. The fund managers make money on the 2/20 model (AFAIK). I don't think they need to worry about a loss right? So what if they lost some aum. It will probably just mean more forward legal expense right?

Hell, it may even be publicity. I bet there is a AI out there who read the story and want's IN now. I mean, this is a 5 yard group and they're probably not oversubscribed now that some of the money is likely to get pulled.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. kj5159

kj5159

Ackman has made very good returns over his career, I don't see how that is up for debate as it is quantifiable.

9. MrMuppet

MrMuppet

Nobody doubts that. But have you ever had a closer look at how these returns were achieved?
    He actively influences the market, not just by trading size but also by giving speeches, releasing analysis pieces...he's an activist investor not a trader.

Big difference...I mean, just look at the Herbalife Battle. This is not a trade, this is an election campaign

10. ironchef

ironchef

Only in the early years.

#10     Sep 8, 2019