A hard drive story...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Overnight, May 9, 2021.

1. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

#11     May 10, 2021
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Haha! Yuk, Commodores always had a crummy soundchip, far inferior to Atari.

#12     May 10, 2021
  3. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Good story. The first time you experience an SSD boot up after years of HDD is a special moment. For me it was a face palm for waiting so long.

#13     May 10, 2021
    HobbyTrading, JSOP and Overnight like this.
  4. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

You think ? For me, nothing beats the Amiga. But of course this is just my personal taste.

#14     May 10, 2021
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Well, two things. One, I was not meaning the 16 bit machines, I was thinking of the older 8-bit. Two, I didn't necessarily mean the music ability, but the sound effects. Atari had way better use of the POKEY chip for ambiance.

It reminds me of this darn game. That teleporter sound effect...

It was just so damned awesome. It was so awesome I actually learned how to activate it in BASIC on the console. Something like

SOUND 1, 255, 10, 15
    SOUND 2, 254, 10, 15
    POKE 53768, 1

Heh, those were the days.

#15     May 10, 2021
    CALLumbus likes this.
  6. JSOP

JSOP

Well can't blame you. There were all those issues of "instability" and data loss with SSD. I mean speed is one thing but you don't really want a drive that's gonna lose your data and do god knows what all the time.

#16     May 10, 2021
  7. VicBee

VicBee

HDDs have an average lifespan of 7 years. I didn't believe it until... well, for me it needed to be twice, I learn it was, the hard way.

I've been on SSD and NVMe for at least 10 years.

#17     May 10, 2021
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Indeed. The thing with my situation is...The last time I needed a new HD, it was time to get a new PC anyways (The dedicated trading machine). But the spinny drives had become so reliable. That's why I didn't realize the power of the SSD until now.

My trading machine? Hell, it's an Asus desktop about 7 years old with a 2TB spinny disc. And I have used only 500 GB of the thing! (That's why a trading machine does not need a lot of space, when you use it for just trading).

I trust Asus over Lenovo for reliability...Should I consider cloning the trading machine spinny HD? Bah.

#18     May 10, 2021
  9. VicBee

VicBee

I would definitely clone it, if only for safety reason. Sometimes these damn spinning drives don't give enough warning before they die and prevent free data extraction.
    For trading, a small size SSD or NVMe is enough. I'd put my money on faster RAM and at least 16GB. But the key is the plug to the web.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    #19     May 10, 2021
    Overnight likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

As far as trading goes?

In my mind, this is daytrading/scalping..

In my mind, this is swing/position trading...

#20     May 10, 2021
    VicBee likes this.