a half Billion fund with so low revenue?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trend2009, Apr 13, 2017.

1. My friend opened a fund called xxx fund advisors, managing half billion asset (only a few clients I guess). Its strategy is statistical arbitrage holding 1 to 3 days. I heard its return is single digit. I checked zoominfo website, last year its revenue is only 2 million. Is that possible so low? Even 1% management fee is close to 5 million.

The other question, what is the difference a company named fund advisor from normal hedge fund?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

If he "just opened" a fund and has so much AUM is a reflection of his experience and ties in the industry.
    AUM does not guarantee any returns.

3. truetype

truetype

If he's really your friend, ask him about it over a beer. Zoominfo is worthless.

marketsurfer likes this.
  4. R1234

R1234

its possible he's charging 40bps management fee since it's a single digit performance strategy.
    It's also possible he's charging performance fee only.

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes it is. I know a group in Boston with 23B AUM that charges 30 to 35 BPS. Depends what they do for them.

6. bln

bln

Yep, there some "absolute return" strategies with billions i AUM that pump out 5-8% annually. They have customers for their niche.

7. To answer your second question:
    Most set-ups are like this:
    You have XXX Fund: This holds the investments. For instance the investors own shares in this.
    You have XXX Fund Advisors: This is the investment manager's vehicle and charges for example 2/20 to the fund. This company employs personnel, buys research, rents offices. Mostly owned by 1 or more partners that make the actual investment decisions for the fund.

8. Many new funds do not charge any management fee. Very few investors pay management fees to new funds.

surf

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    lovethetrade likes this.
  9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is not what I'm seeing.

wintergasp likes this.
  10. Good to hear, wish i knew those investors willing to pay management fees to new funds.

On another topic, didn't lightspeed change its name to PTS back in 2014? In 2012 I worked closely with Steven Erlich CEO of lightspeed on a project-- great guy!

surf

#10     Apr 13, 2017
    qlai likes this.