A good forum for IT help

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dandxg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. I know we have sharp ex IT ppl, and computer savvy folks that are helpful.

Can anyone recommend a free or fee based forum where you can get good support and learn more about technology and such?

I would like to increase my knowledge of technology without having to hope that someone that knows more than me responds on ET when they see fit.

TIA

Dan

2. gkishot

gkishot

Good question.

3. you would be suprised at how good (some) people are on here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

Or

Tom's Hardware

are very good - Tom's Hardware is probably going to be better than Xtreme but it depends on what you are looking for. Most of the dedicated computer forums are all PC-based and you will find a lot of gamers looking to overclock, water-cool, etc. which does not do anything for me personally since I use brand-name only systems and look to learn about other things.

If anyone can point me to a place where I can learn about Windows Server ('03 or '08) things like Group Policy, Active Directory, Firewalls, Networking permissions, technicals about scripting & command prompt functions & tech differences between W7 64-bit and XP 64-bit please post it up.

OP what are you looking for? "IT" is pretty general/broad.

4. gkishot

gkishot

My interest lies with software development.

5. www.techguy.org

for decent free tech support. There are some good guys who will stick with you through your issue, but it sometimes takes a while, and you may have to post a few times before you get the ball rolling. Look for johnwill over there.

6. I am greedy I want everything under the sun. :D Seriously I need a jack of trades and master of some.

For example, I am download movies and want to DVI to HDMI to old big screen tv. Where to go? How do I route these cables through the wall. I am good with google but see where I am getting at? I can figure out the cables but wonder if convert a wall jack or maybe a wireless bridge?

I am learning linux. I like it. There are many good forums but so many distros. BTW consider linux its a great addition to windows. So much faster, secure, and free, can be used with virtual machine to run windows. I took an 8 year old laptop that won't run windows anymore and bam up and running!

I want to learn the latest greatest on wireless networking. I have never done wireless but know how to work on computer from hands on trial and exp.

The older I get the more the closet engineer comes out.

Next time I am building my own computer. So many good videos on youtube on how to do it.

7. Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming!

8. Seems like you need Geek Squad.

I don't know what other's experience is but in my limited experience, understanding the tech game is a huge part of my day to day. If you can't learn it yourself then hire someone to do it for you.

Cables & TVs should be simple - can you set up a multi-monitor display? Most of this is simple DIY stuff IMO.

9. What are you talking about? I am learning linux and you think I need geek squad? Sure I have 3 monitors 2 computers part of which I repaired on my own. Of course I could figure it out but its always helpful to consult with someone who already been there.

#10     Jan 9, 2010