A good emini day trading strategy

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by RickW00716, Nov 23, 2012.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Read the trade journals, technical analysis, strategy design threads or use ET search to look up key words like "Emini Strategy". You can also use that sticky note thread in the education section made by Benwm that ET management stuck at the top of the education section...

Thread called called ET Hall of Fame Threads. In that thread are direct links to some trade strategies that have been detailed extensively by some traders that have shown some sort'uv verification it works for them.

I do not know what exactly type of strategy you're looking for but I'm sure you can find something that you''ll feel merits exploring further.

Last of all, most of those in the past (many years ago) that have posted verification of their trade approach...they are now inactive or move to other trading forums or social networks.

#21     Nov 24, 2012
  2. gmst

gmst

Great point!
    Importance of a nice setup, professional trading environment, diligent work habits, iron-clad discipline and emotional balance when you are down a lot on a day/week or in high volatility conditions are integral components that make a trading plan successful.

I reckon above things are way more important than a trading strategy. Whats the point of a trading strategy, if you can't execute it!! This is an extremely important point but no one seems to understand its importance. It is also very difficult to master. I took 3.5 yrs of trading experience and losing tens of thousands of dollars to understand the importance of above things.

#22     Nov 24, 2012
  3. I agree that in the absence of automation, the likelihood of two traders getting the same results is near zero, even with the same strategy.

Which is why I think that any strategy which can be automated, should be. If you are able to develop a set of rules which have positive expectancy, you can only benefit from making adherence to those rules automatic.

#23     Nov 24, 2012
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

#24     Nov 24, 2012
  5. Hi Rick,

When I'm looking for new ideas (or I'm just bored) I sometimes go to the trading systems site below. There are a huge number of systems discussed there. Some are good, many are bad, and they're based on price action, indicators, or a combination of both.

Most importantly for me, they can act as a source of new ideas that I can backtest on my markets in my time frames.

http://www.forexfactory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Kevin

#25     Nov 24, 2012
  6. that's why I say, 90% is just money management. After you have that down, you can take the other 10% of your brain power and blow it on any kind of strategy you can come up with, including no system and just doing what you feel like based on how you feel about the market or read it.

The money management is the same for all of us. There is no escaping it. Some may like tight stops, some loose. Some like to average down, some like to add to winners. Some scale in, some scale out, some like to get flat, some like to be always in. Either way, they all come out about the same if you do it consistently and don't go from one to the other, especially in the depths of drawdown.

The other 10% involves guessing right. And I've seen just about everything work, from MA crossovers to moon phases.

If your money management is sound it doesn't matter how bad of a guesser you are, you won't get wiped out. And if you are a good guesser you might even make a little money.

#26     Nov 24, 2012
  7. Zyker

Zyker

Although there is more to items #2 and #6 than this, in principle I agree that this strategy would indeed suffice for making money in the long run. It sure does sound strange...

... But then again, all you need to do in trading is exploit some facet of the markets that is not (entirely) random and manage the downside risk with meticulous care. This strategy of yours would nicely hook on to the fat tails of asset returns and maintain a limited downside on each attempt.

I think one of Van Tharp's books has some information on random entry systems and the profitability thereof. It should be an interesting read to anyone.

Z

#27     Nov 25, 2012
  8. I only talk about money and trade management. For me that is 90% of trading, and very rarely ever changes. I'll leave the other 10% which consists of entries and exits up to others. It is always changing depending on the current trading fashion.

otherwise, I have my own deal which doesn't use stops, but I wouldn't recommend anybody else try it. But, I guess if you are daytrading the stop will come on the close whether you want it to or not.

#28     Nov 25, 2012
  9. Zyker

Zyker

Sure, but I think exits are covered by the topic of prudent trade management. My system provides me an edge of about 0.07-0.15 times the risk per trade (depending on time frame and traded instrument). I don't know if that is good or bad, but the curious thing is that I have no statistical evidence that different entry strategies could make this number any better - or any worse - in the long run. In that sense entries for me are just a way of maintaining consistency.

Z

#29     Nov 26, 2012
  10. yes, good point, I would guess many TA traders weakness is the exit. Sometimes I think it must be arbitrary in that they will look for a set up and simply settle for x ticks.

#30     Nov 26, 2012