A good & complete TA book

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by missing-link, Oct 13, 2003.

1. isn't he saying he thinks most should be burned?

:confused:

#11     Oct 14, 2003
  2. ...Thunderdog politely expressed his disagreement with my position. I am merely politely asking back why disagrees. It's called dialogue.

#12     Oct 14, 2003
  3. Here's a book I've always liked. It's more of a "cliffnotes" book on
    technical analysis.

You get a brief summary on just about every technical analysis idea you've heard of. Then, if you find something that interest you, you can look for more indepth sources.

Trading Systems and Methods...by Perry J. Kaufman

#13     Oct 14, 2003

4. Sorry for the confusion, hypostomus. If you carefully read what I wrote, you will see that I essentially agreed with you in a back-handed way. Indeed, I think that most (though not quite all) TA books are of little or no value. The few that I found marginally useful only gave me some background information to build on from my own study of the markets. In any event, I found much of the theory to be fanciful. Certainly the books on "technical indictors" were not worth the postage I paid, let alone the price. But that is just my opinion.

Regards,

Thunderdog

#14     Oct 14, 2003
  5. Breakout, That book is great for someone with a foundation in TA and wants to further his education. It's like a encyclopedia of TA almost. It also gives you EL code if you want to learn programing with TS. It has a place in my library and I use it when I hear something and want a quick reference.

#15     Oct 14, 2003
  6. ...my apologies also. I was not prepared for good Southern humor. Once in a great books discussion someone cried out in agony "This discussion is fruitless!" From the other end of the room came the reply (from a cajun) "On the contrary, I think it is full of fruit!" You must learn that if you are going to agree with a mechanical system trader, you must do so explicitly, within the cold rules of logic, leaving no room for misinterpretation, so we can code you up.

#16     Oct 14, 2003
  7. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Nison's Candlesticks book.

While TA encompasses every chart style including OHLC bars, etc, candle charts provide a great way for the newbie technician to get going.

#17     Oct 14, 2003
  8. #18     Oct 14, 2003
  9. ...have none of you TA mavens recommended the excellent book by Velez and Capra?

#19     Oct 14, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

It's usually preferable to go to the sources, which is this case are the books I mentioned. Everything else is just a variation on the themes presented there.

#20     Oct 14, 2003