A Fool-proof Google-based Sentiment Indicator? Wtf

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tomtuttletacoma, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ifl

#21     Dec 28, 2008
  2. The connection between online browsing, shopping and the market is well known.

I first read about it in 2002. Seems it lead the market by about 3 weeks.

A friend had a marble importing business. He said like clockwork when the hits on his website when up a lot about 3 weeks later the market would go up.

I assumed someone was using this for timing purposes.

#22     Dec 28, 2008
  3. riskaverse305

riskaverse305 Guest

so he was importing or exporting marble? this google trends seems like an interesting data source but with tricky causality.

some relationships are one way. others two way. seems like u need to do more stats analysis to prove on or the other.

i'm gonna keep "treasury bubble" in my bookmarks.

#23     Dec 28, 2008
  4. [​IMG]

Market bottom - Highest point was in October 9, shouldn't have to explain that one.

#24     Dec 29, 2008
  5. seems like this would have also been useful for other bubbles. i searched for ethanol, this is the chart for 2006's search volume above a chart for imperial sugar (IPSU)

#25     Dec 29, 2008
  6. wst

wst

Same holds true for the uranium bubble. "uranium stocks" on Google Trends peaked in april 2007 just as the uranium stocks did. http://www.theuptrend.com/Uranium-W2.gif

Nice tool indeed, will add this to my ever growing arsenal of useful timing tools.

#26     Dec 30, 2008
  7. #27     Dec 30, 2008