A Flomax Market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. sales of Nintendo Co.'s Wii video-game console rose 55 percent in October as the industry rebounded from its first monthly decline in more than two years.

Consumers purchased 803,000 Wii players, Port Washington, New York-based NPD Group Inc. said today in an e-mailed statement, an increase from 519,000 a year earlier. Total industry sales rose 18 percent to $1.31 billion, NPD said.

Revenue is recovering from a September slump, when the industry was competing against the year-earlier release of Microsoft Corp.'s ``Halo 3'' game, which spurred sales of the company's Xbox 360 console.

``The video games industry grew an impressive 18 percent year-over-year in the first month of the critical fourth quarter,'' NPD analyst Anita Frazier said in the statement. ``With 10 months under its belt, the video games industry is still poised to top $22 billion in annual sales in 2008.''

Software sales rose 35 percent, led by Microsoft's ``Fable II,'' NPD said.

In October, consumers purchased 371,000 of the 360s and 190,000 units of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3. Microsoft cut the price of the least-expensive model of the Xbox 360, the Arcade, to $199.99 from $279.99 in September.

Nintendo is boosting shipments to the U.S. by 50 percent during the fourth quarter to avoid shortages that limited sales last year. The company feels no pressure to lower Wii's $249 price tag, Reggie Fils-Aime, president of the company's U.S. business, said in an interview today.

Boosting Production

``It's difficult to contemplate a price reduction when product is selling out,'' Fils-Aime said. ``For us it's first about getting product into the market.''

#11     Nov 14, 2008
  2. The Self-Taught Oddball Nincompoop Editor (STONE) is back with more stupid things to say, in an apparent attempt to convince himself he has something worth saying!

His psychologist and bartenders kicked him out, so he is crying for attention on ET, hoping someone else will think he is important.

So if you do not value your time, and want to listen to his misguided rants, go ahead and laugh...

So many words, so little meaning...

#12     Nov 14, 2008
  3. Well you got the self taught right!

Nothing much striking me of interest.

FFIV> kind of has a high PE of 25...

GreatBatch on the other hand has a very high PE this year of 44. And next year it drops to 19! That's growth. This is a beauty of a stock no one knows about... nare a whisper of a chat room on Yahoo & that's the way I like it.

URBN-- tough to fall in love here. hedge fund did email me on the name, I haven't checked it yet... PT is $20 upgraded today so I didn't get enough of a pullback. This is a perfect example of when half boating does not pay off... $1 off the high today, I might still chase it.

Nintendo... Don't you just feel the Barron's piece coming?... it's classic Barrons they won't be able to help themselves... with my luck watch them knock it! But with this market share story, that's not going to happen... one has to know what's going on with the Yen dollar trade though & I'm not that person. Love the idea of this as a Christmas trade.

Everything else sucks.

There you have it, the end of another fine thread. Aside from a mean spirited drop in from TraderZ--

I hope these G-20 can save Iceland! Those poor folks... and that we can continue the rally!

Go GIANTS! ~ stoney

#13     Nov 14, 2008