A Flat Tax for California?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tom B, Jun 19, 2009.

1. There are a lot of private catholic/christian high schools in my area... Don't know what you're crying about.

#31     Jun 20, 2009
  2. of course there are, but locking people up for pot & some other types of "victimless" crimes in bullshit.

Another thing to consider is that the "cost" of housing prisoners does not include the lost tax revenues that they could produce if they were a part of "free" society.

An additional issue with the penal system is I believe appx 25% or more of the inmates are illegal aliens. That bill should go to teh Feds - it is not Cali's responsibility to protect our International borders.

Also consider the 90% retirement pay PLUS bennies... IF a guard works 30 years and lives 30 yrs after retirement, the cost of a $100,000 annual income (w/ overtime) is actually $190,000, plus bennies. I doubt many prison guards could command or produce $190,000 income per year "on the outside."

So, by recapturing the money for illegal cons, letting some of the dopers & such out, lowering guards salaries & bennies and privatizing the prisons, you could save major dough there.

The problem is the Feds don't wanna pay, the borders are still open & crime is increasing, the devil weed is still demonized and UNIONS will fight privatizations, wage & benny reductions...

#32     Jun 20, 2009
  3. What i am saying is that if people do not believe in contraception, they should pay for the costs associated with raising a child, not be given an additional tax break every time the mom pops a kid out.

Take for example the minimum wage worker with six kids. Private tuition is say $500/month, which is more than the guy grosses every month - in some areas like West L.A. & think its $1,000 or more per month per kid.

#33     Jun 20, 2009
  4. Good luck any place there are latinos.

#34     Jun 20, 2009
  5. Where is the next generation of workers going to come from? The parents who school and raise their children share an unequal portion of the cost of continuing society. If anything in the future you will see more effort by the government to encourage more children. As social security fails you may also see more children per family as a 'better safety net' than big government.

You are probably not going to like it!

#35     Jun 20, 2009
  6. clacy

clacy

I totally agree. However, the entitlement spending must be reduced by 85%. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for people's healthcare and welfare if they are doing drugs.

I have no problem with legalizing drugs as I agree with personal responsibility, but then the other shoe is that you have to get rid of all the freebies

#36     Jun 20, 2009
  7. thats bullshit. It costs appx $8,000/year per pupil in Cali; a family earning min wage barely grosses enough to school two children, let alone 4 to 6... the min wage worker having more kids than he can afford is not the victim. the educational costs are only one line item & doesn't include free lunch & breakfast, before- and after-school child care, free bus transport, medical services, WIC, food stamps, etc...

the people paying a disproportional share are the singles, gays & well-healed who have a couple of kids that they pay to educate all the way through college.

people living beyond their means are not VICTIMS.

#37     Jun 20, 2009
  8. I'm just waiting for millions to do a mass tax protest and just stop paying. That's when the real change will happen.

#38     Jun 20, 2009
  9. Eight

Eight

It wouldn't take millions. The richest pay half the Federal budget and probably similar in California. If they formed a political party of their own to get themselves off the tax hook they could have Cal /Fed begging for money...

#39     Jun 20, 2009
  10. Unfortunately, you are probably right.

Our present government will press our current "way of doin' bidness" until our financial system, our currency, and our populace is effectively bankrupt. Why? (1) It's already in place and easy to ramp up further, and (2) it increases government's involvement and control in all aspects of our personal and financial lives... which of course, is the primary objective of government.

ONLY REVOLUTION WILL CHANGE THIS!

But we'd need 100 million tax payers to revolt in unity... doubt 100 mil of us will "get it" (let alone protest) before it's too late. :(

#40     Jun 20, 2009