A Flat Tax for California?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tom B, Jun 19, 2009.

1. If this be true, they did themselves no favor with tonight's story.

Most people don't understand the impact to the economy for a "reset" or "scaling back" in spending. The government of course, does. That's why they're in a panic to get consumer spending and credit rolling again. However, they will bury us much further in debt in an attempt to "reignite the economy"... it will be to no avail.

#21     Jun 20, 2009
  2. It is true. They want to soften the blow of Obama's failure. The media always makes us aware of stuff when it's convenient for them to do so.

#22     Jun 20, 2009
  3. However it's cut, he's the leader of the state, and spending has gone up ~40% during his tenure. Is he alone in creating this problem? Absolutely not.

But if he can't get anything done, then he shouldn't be governor.

Results matter - or at least they should matter.

Ultimately this is no different than the bailout mess at the Federal level - voters are getting exactly the government they've been voting for.

#23     Jun 20, 2009
  4. Seems about half of Americans DO want more government services... the half that gets nearly all of the current services yet pays little or nothing (taxes) for them.

Wasn't that the basic theme of Obama's campaign? "Vote for me.. I'll give you more"..?

#24     Jun 20, 2009
  5. The best thing California can do is legalize marijuana and make a couple billion dollars in tax revenue.

It would also attract a lot of people to live there... hence rise in real-estate.... hence larger profit from property taxes.

#25     Jun 20, 2009
  6. Eight

Eight

All drugs should be legal. People can take personal responsibility for what they absorb into their bodies. We could have our fourth amendment back at that point.. we are fighting some huge failed wars in the US, the War on Poverty and the War on Drugs could both be dropped nearly in their entireties and within a few short years the cultures would adjust...

#26     Jun 20, 2009
  7. Just cut the ridiculous spending. DONE

#27     Jun 20, 2009
  8. word!

#28     Jun 20, 2009
  9. I know right?? There are no hard criminals in California!

#29     Jun 20, 2009
  10. I'd like to see a heavy flat tax put on children - kind of a user tax for education & other services.

Then I'd like to sit back & watch the certain groups including the Catholic Church deal with that - yeah, if your beliefs are so strong, then you pay for your children. :p

#30     Jun 20, 2009