a few words about GOLD

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by madmaxer, Oct 18, 2008.

1. When we do get inflation it will be a panic out of a dollar no longer accepted by the world, and when it happens, it will be too late to trade it.

Iceland's recent troubles come to mind.

Who will lend us a trillion to bail us out temporarily? How would we readjust to eliminate the budget and trade deficit within a few weeks?

#21     Oct 21, 2008
  2. Why would it be panic? I'm not an economist but it would seem to me that these things would happen gradually.

#22     Oct 21, 2008
  3. In the past when the dollar has been devalued, it was just announced when it was effective.

Do you expect they will tell you 30 days in advance?

Of course, announcing it would be a "nice" way to devalue it. The bad way would be via a panic sell off. I think that's what happened in Iceland.

Seen this?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1021/1224454424740.html

Sounds to me like a G20 meeting to discuss replacing Bretton Wood II agreement that put the dollar in as reserve currency

BTW, in 1944, we were the strong, and everyone else was bankrupt. This time we are bankrupt and the tables are turned.

#23     Oct 21, 2008
  4. Everything you say makes sense to me, but I don't see the markets saying the same thing.

The DX has started a big rally. Murphy says the dollar isn't strong, it's the foreign currencies that are weak. But it's all the same, the dollar is going up.

The question is: How long will it go up, and can it go up enough so that the effect of inflation doesn't hurt us?

#24     Oct 21, 2008
  5. You are right. Gold is garbage.

I'll keep mine though. Let them sell their paper gold till nobody will accept it.

The EU and everyone else are out there bashing their own currencies. What else would we expect?

#25     Oct 21, 2008
  6. Are we talking about trading or collecting?

#26     Oct 21, 2008
  7. Why does everyone keep saying that the dollar is strong?
    The dollar is weak and has been weak for some time now. Its still trading below par. The dollar is going to continue to crash despite the recent run up from the lows. Until the dollar trades back above $1.00 the U.S. economy is in trouble.

#27     Oct 21, 2008
  8. S2007S

S2007S

Agree, Agree Agree.

#28     Oct 21, 2008