a few questions

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Greg, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Considering that most of the "established" system trader can program, I don't see why we need to use a third party.

If you're out for suckers.... then it maybe something but most never make money... or at least... last.

Unless you have an extra-ordinary edge, you can provide... you are dealing with the wrong crowd. Go for the non-programmers (discretionary traders)...

#11     Jun 17, 2008
  2. Greg

Greg

Ok
    My questions were for my own curiosity and based on work im doing myself. Im not selling the software nor am I leasing the code. Maybe I read your response wrong, but thats what it looked like to me. I apologize if I misunderstood what you posted back to me. As per my background it was only to help in the context of the conversation.

Greg

#12     Jun 17, 2008
  3. Greg

Greg

Ok with the last comment put to bed. Via no further reply from the poster. My next question is.

1)How may of you turn on your trading system, walk away and let it do the work.

2) How many of you still manage the system either by manually sending in the order or watching some visual indicators like charts or visual alerts ?

Thanks
    Greg

#13     Jun 28, 2008
  4. edbar

edbar

Greg,

I run 6 fully automated CoolTrade trading systems and don't do anything except occassionally check the results (trades, profits, and account balance).

I believe that is how it is with everyone using cooltrade systems, unless they are making changes to the strategy. Once you have your strategy set up, you just turn it on in the morning and let it do it's thing. You can manually interact with it and even override everything it is doing, and some do that. But most just schedule it to start on its own in the morning so it starts by itself, trades all day, and turns itself off at night.

There are some skeptics out there who make comments like "I don't need a computer to lose money faster than I can" or "if its so good why would you share it", etc. but anyone who uses the system immediately realize that the system is only doing EXACTLY what they would do if they could track as many things as it could do. For instance, if you would never buy a stock with a ask-bid spread of over .03 cents, then you have a rule that will not let it open a position when that rule is true, or if you would never open a long position while the DOW is down over 100 points, then you add that rule. Or if you like to take profits after you are up 10% with a trailing stop loss of 1% (that kicks in only after reaching your 10% goal), then you set your profit goals up that way. It's all point and click and easy to set up.

So, once you set your strategy up with the rules (as specified above), it's the same as trading manually, only the computer does it all and you don't have to be home baby-sitting it.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would ever sit in front of a computer and manually trade stocks. Unless they don't trust THEIR OWN RULES. Not only that, but the software can look at dozens of conditions that you could never do by sitting in front of a bunch of charts and graphs. Or unless you just want to gamble and randomly jump in and hope you get lucky. If that's the case though, skip the stock market and buy lottery tickets instead.

Ed

#14     Jun 28, 2008