A few basic questions on getting a new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thunderdog, Nov 3, 2005.

1. hey...good...it could have its own fold out travel wheels and table legs...

#41     Nov 19, 2005
  2. I had a Plasmaco briefcase 486 with a >20" plasma screen housed in a zero halliburton aluminum case. Man, that thing was fantastic for the time.

#42     Nov 19, 2005
  3. riskarb...I think we are a couple of geeks....

#43     Nov 19, 2005
  4. I just got TWO Fujitsu's for $895 each!
    Blazing speed. Wide glossy screen.

Wouldn't want to drag a 19" along believing it's a laptop. :D

#44     Nov 19, 2005
  5. #45     Nov 19, 2005
  6. I love hardware. Bought a mil-spec itronix laptop with a backlit keyboard for travel. OMFG it's cool:

http://www.gobookiii.com/

#46     Nov 19, 2005
  7. Luto

Luto

Although I dislike sony for cheapness, I did get one.

An A270. Upgraded to the Hitachi 7200 RPM hard disk (highly recommended)

Key for me was the WUXGA. Put two NEC 20" 1600x1200 screens on it using the VTbook and external monitor port. Ergoton Monitor stand is a nice addition.

Added a wireless keyboard, mouse and finger print reader. Got to have a decent UI. I like the programable buttons on the keyboard.

Placed the laptop on a cooling pad so the internal fan never needs to go on. (had to replace fans with good ones). Heat is an issue for long term usage. Check the cooling ports to make sure there is enough.

USB Hub for printer and external HD, etc.

Pulled out the battery and run on AC with a UPS. So battery is new when I need it. Have yet to use it.

So as a desktop replacement, it needed a few add-ons and upgrades, but it is portable as just a laptop.
    Easy to disconnect and go.

-cheers, Luto

#47     Nov 22, 2005
  8. Luto....udaman!

#48     Nov 22, 2005
  9. I have had the MX510 for some time and it is by far the best trading mouse I have ever had. Will be picking up a couple of 518's now that I know about them.... always need spares for the office.

Happy clicking...

#49     Dec 2, 2005
  10. Couldn't agree with you more. I got one of those for my sister for college and it gets 10 mins on batteries after 1 yr and it constantly needs a rebuild for corrupting files. Last week, I ended up replacing the Toshiba hard drive and the cheap memory sticks they put in them. It is now humming along nicely. Will never buy HP again.... customers shouldn't have to put up with that crap. I dumped 1200 shares of their stock last week that I have owned since Dec 04 once I got done with their tech support. There is no way a company can keep growing with that kind of product and service.

#50     Dec 2, 2005