A few basic questions on getting a new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thunderdog, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Since some people commented on screen size, I then have another question.

My old clunker notebook has a 15-inch screen. However, the new wide screens seem a bit shorter in height. And it is because screen height is as important to me as width that I am considering a 17-inch "wide" screen.

So here is my question. Among those of you who previously had a laptop with a regular 15-inch screen and then bought a new one with a 15.4-inch wide screen, did you feel at all compromised (charts, etc.)? Please don't suggest an external monitor, as I already have and use a 19-inch external monitor. I simply want my principal screen to be at least as good as the present 15-inch regular-sized screen. Any comments?

#21     Nov 4, 2005
  2. I've tried a lot of different laptops and Toshiba and Dell are the best, imho. Dell takes the cake right now, but I've previously owned a Toshiba that was an absolute work horse. In the three years I was using it 8+ hours a day with some very intensive apps I have had extaclty 0 problems with it. Well, not including the time I closed it with my keys on the keyboard and cracked the screen.

As for Vista, I wouldn't worry about it at all. XP pro is fine, and if for some reason you NEED to upgrade to Vista in the future, you can always get more RAM or a new laptop. But what would make you need to upgrade to Vista anyway?

1 G is plenty for most apps, unless you are running some very intensive programs. I have a Gig and it's been plenty for everything I'm doing, including some intensive data analysis.

- The New Guy

#22     Nov 4, 2005
  3. Thunderdog,
    I got two 15" widescreen laptops about 2 months ago. I think that the older aspect ratio is better for document viewing and editing.
    For trading, this depends on the kind of charts and displays you use. If you don't want too many indicators one below the other, go for the widescreen as it dives you a larger time range. I am rather happy with my widescreen.
    Don't put TOO MUCH memory in a notebook. It shortens battery life! 500M is very comfortable for a notebook.
    Somebody mentioned fan control. Watch out here. A good notebook should have a fan going completely quiet (off), this with XP and with linux (Suse, Ubuntu). If not, this spells trouble, You shouldn't need extra software to fudge this.
    Another point to watch is wifi. Lots of complaints about this. Again, a good notebook shouldn't give you any trouble. In my recent buying experience, I made the express condition of being able to test first with MY software configuration. I went through 3 different brands/types before I got the right one!

#23     Nov 4, 2005
  4. I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-A290 with a 17" wide screen and a 1 gig RAM. It's a beast. But I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I love the screen size. I previously had a Vaio with a 15" normal screen.

I've got a workstation on my desk with 4 17" monitors. And I don't even turn it on everyday because my Laptop is good enough most of the time.

But I rarely run this on battery. Life is only about 2.5 hrs.

#24     Nov 4, 2005
  5. One

One

Your conclusion would be correct if fan usage was based consistently accross laptops and only on heat production. I'm no techy, but based on what I have read the temps. where fans are engaged is controlled in the bios and if the laptops settings are such that the temp. for engaging the fan is very low, which it is for example in the Dell 6000, the fan running constantly does not necessarily indicate any problem whatsover. My Dell 6000 runs very cool, thanks in part to the Pentium M chip and integrated graphics, and all the software settings for engaging fans are well within manufacturers' recommended operating temps. It's simply a matter of reducing noise, though the 6000's fan is not all that noisy anyway.

#25     Nov 4, 2005
  6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Take a look at:

http://www.thinkpad.com

IBM (now Lenovo) offers some excellent models to meet all possible needs. I have been very content with my IBM T20, T30, T40 series laptops over the past few years.

- Greg

#26     Nov 4, 2005
  7. volente_00

volente_00

I bought a dell inspiron 1150 about 18 months ago and love it. I only use it as a back up to trade but it works just as good as my desktop. The only problem I had with it was the lcd went bad after about 6 months but the replaced it under warranty. Are you going to use it primarily for trading ? The inspiron 9300 seems like a nice one with a 17 inch view. LCD size was not a concern for me because I can always hook up to my 19 inch via the external port if my desktop fails.

#27     Nov 5, 2005
  8. #28     Nov 5, 2005
  9. ditto that on the thinkpads. i've had a t41 and now a t42 both 14.1", and i really love them. i wanted something between the slim and tiny category and the desktop monstrosity category and imo the T series is a perfect balance.

i've also noticed the deals on thinkpads are better now than in january, you can get a lot for your money imo

#29     Nov 5, 2005
  10. Hopefully you are not considering a Gateway.

Gateway sucks ass.

I am in an exceptionally good mood today. Catch me on a regular day and I will tell you what I really think of that crappy company.

#30     Nov 5, 2005