A drink to take the edge off...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Cocaine, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Have you tried this before? If so, then I understand your comments here.

If you havent tried it....then shut up and stop being so close minded. I dont need the peanut gallery giving their opinions if they have never tried it themselves. Austin P gave his input from exp and that opinion means something. Yours, unless you have tried it, means nothing.

#51     Oct 29, 2006
  2. No LOSER, I most definitely haven't tried it before.

I don't even drink the evening before a trading day, because I know it will take away whatever edge I might have in the markets and cut my mental acuity and focus.

But knock yourself out, I highly recommend a steady diet of one shot a day, the morning before trading (perferably straight vodka, chilled).

Let's see how long you last ... :cool:

edit: and if i rember correctly austin got his @$$ handed to him when he tried it ... so by all means, please make it a regular part of your trading system ... LOL, what a stupid junkie (oh, OK, make that substance dependent) clown.

wait don't tell me, you get the shakes if you haven't had your little nip, so you need it to steady your hand while you push the button ...

#52     Oct 29, 2006
  3. As if this thread needs one more opinion..........f--k, i'll post it anyway! :p.

A trader, or anyone for that matter should not have to drink any amount of alcohol in order to do his/her job. understandably so, that a drink can make a trader more relaxed, they could also become dependant on this relaxed state of mind, and then what?...do you take your flask with you everytime you have to make a trade?...

Not only in trading, but in any stressful situation where people have to deal with reality, its easy to look at drugs for an easy answer. IMO that's just avoiding your responsibility as a trader, father, husband, friend, whatever it may be.

cm69

#53     Oct 29, 2006
  4. cosmic

cosmic

do you like to have more courage to take the more aggressive plays or just to trade more size?

i think you can deal with both types through the right position size, take a small aggressive play & learn to manage it better & better.

for your standard setups there's plenty of room to trade larger & larger in small baby steps.

I personlly think you build everything up as in sports...by doing a lot of focused practice.

don't a shot or two would help, because you'd easily loose your discipline & that's something we can't ever afford to loose.

good sunday,
    cosmic

#54     Oct 29, 2006
  5. #55     Oct 29, 2006
  6. Cocaine - the edge you are looking to take off might be a key ingredient in your recipe of profitability. However, try it... if it works for you... great.... if not... then stop it.

In the early 1950's a couple of guys working on a project went to the pub routinely for a shot or two when they were stuck for a fresh idea. It was their way of breaking the mental logjam they were experiencing. Their names are James Watson and Francis Crick, two young scientists who determined the structure of DNA and won a Nodel Prize for it.

Some members here might be old enough to remember the "two-martini" lunch, a termed coined by the IRS in its attempts to regulate tax deductions. Drinking at lunch has long been a means for men to blow off the crap of the detail-oriented morning and open the mind to thinking about big ideas. The same goes for after work drinking. You never see a well-dressed guy at the bar after work drinking to blow off steam from a day spent dreaming.

The commonality is that the typical use of alcohol is to relax inhibitions. Sometimes this makes us feel more courageous, yet this perceived benefit comes with the real detriments of reduced acuity and discretion, ie., focus.

All of that said, rather than ask for opinions here, do a search of the web for credible studies concluding that one drink of alcohol prior to very detail-oriented and focus-requiring tasks results in improved performance.

Good luck.

#56     Oct 29, 2006
  7. Thanks for the good post. I will do some searching to see if anything credible and reasonable can be found.

Also, I understand what you mean by reduced acuity and discretion. I know alcohol has this effect but, for me, one drink does not effect me in this negative manner. If I had more, then I am sure it would be bad for my trading.

Anyways, thanks to all who posted, even JJ that likes to call people names who decide to think outside the box (even if it seems ludicrous).

#57     Oct 29, 2006
  8. here's some research on using Alcohol and Diving:

Alcohol and Diving

Beer While Diving?

Some divers insist on drinking beer before, during and after their dives. Is there any danger in drinking alcoholic beverages and diving? The short answer is that by drinking alcohol before and during diving trips a diver severely endangers not only himself but his buddy!

Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)

Research has shown that there is a definite reduction in the ability of the individual to process information, particularly in tasks that require undivided attention for many hours after the blood alcohol level has reached 0.0%. This means that the risk for injury of a hungover diver is increased significantly, particularly if high BAC levels were reached during the drinking episode.

The AMA upper limit of the BAC for driving a vehicle in the US is 0.05%. Surely diving with any alcohol on board would be foolish, considering the alien environment (water) and the complex skills required to follow no deco procedures.

Alcohol Impairment

All of the following behavioral components required for safe diving are diminished when alcohol is on board or has been on board in the prior 24 hours:

Reaction time
    Visual tracking performance
    Concentrated attention
    Ability to process information in divided attention tasks
    Perception (Judgment)
    The execution of psychomotor tasks.

The individual who has alcohol onboard may not feel impaired or even appear impaired to the observer but definitely is impaired and this is persistent for extended periods of time. The use of alcohol, even in moderate doses, clearly carries a self-destructive aspect of behavior and leads to higher probabilities for serious accidents.
    Here's the full link: http://scuba-doc.com/alch.htm

While your life may not be a stake when trading as it is when diving, the safety of your trading account, and your ultimate financial solvency are.

Trading is the ultimate game for the individualist in a capitalist society. What you do with your self and your account is your business, but if you think drinking is the answer to your problems, and if anyone on this board or anywhere else would encourage you to do so, then you are all complete and total FOOLS.

Bye Fools,

Jimmy

edit: I just say your post above this one. Hey look man, I gave you a great link to a trading psychologist who could help you take your game way above where it currently is. But if you want to pursue this course of action, fine. IMHO it's the path of self (and account) destruction, and I won't be a party to it, so I'm out of here.

#58     Oct 29, 2006
  9. A shot early in the morning ? ... might be bad for your image, but if you make sure to restrict it to a single shot (and you are not some 25 Kg toothpick who is having a shot on an empty stomach), it might be ok.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying it might not be harmful, but I don't think it will bring anything positive.

Try just a good old fashioned blow job or a morning screw with your girl ... or just a healthy wank if you don't have a girl. ... that sounds like better stress reduction to me.

#59     Oct 29, 2006
  10. ARTIST: Zager and Evans
    TITLE: In the Year 2525

In the year 2525
    If man is still alive.
    If woman can survive, they may find.

In the year 3535
    Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies.
    Everything you think, do, and say is in the pill you took today.

In the year 4545
    Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes.
    You won't find a thing to chew.
    Nobody's gonna look at you.

In the year 5555
    Your arms hanging limp at your sides.
    Your legs got nothing to do.
    Some machine doing that for you.

In the year 6565
    Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife.
    You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too.
    From the bottom of a long glass tube. Whoa-oh

In the year 7510
    If God's a-comin, he oughta make it by then.
    Maybe he'll look around himself and say.
    Guess it's time for the judgment day.

In the year 8510
    God is gonna shake his mighty head.
    He'll either say.I'm pleased where man has been.
    Or tear it down and start again. Whoa-oh

In the year 9595
    I'm kinda wonderin if man is gonna be alive.
    He's taken everything this old Earth can give.
    And he ain't put back nothing.Whoa-oh

Now it's been ten thousand years
    Man has cried a billion tears.
    For what he never knew,
    now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night.
    The twinkling of starlight.
    So very far away.
    Maybe it's only yesterday.

In the year 2525
    If man is still alive.
    If woman can survive, they may find.