A drink to take the edge off...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Cocaine, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Joab

Joab

Sorry but I'm not buyng that stupidity.

You can not put hot coals in your lap and expect to not get burned!

Simply put, your fooling yourself thinking that a drink will make a diffference but hey go for it and try but don't say you weren't warned.

Your playing with fire.

#31     Oct 28, 2006
  2. I may get burned but I have a lot of confidence in my ability to identify a prime trade setup. I just lack the courage to see it through w/ more at stake.

#32     Oct 28, 2006
  3. I see.

While you probably are a good trader as you say, you need to work on your position sizing and trading psychology.

Before you try the liquid courage (while I was never one for it myself, I've seen way too many friends and family - many extremely talented - crash and burn from substance abuse) give this woman a call:

http://www.tradingontarget.com/

She will go a long way towards helping you overcome your (no doubt, to you) very real issues ... I 'm not joking, I'm very serious.

Whatever you do, stay away from the sauce - we traders walk a tightrope, if we achieve success we will have "fame and fortune" - of a sort. If we fail there will be no one to catch our fall.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Jam

#33     Oct 28, 2006
  4. FITENOB

FITENOB

whoever started this thread wins the "genius in stupidity award". You stupidity & and empty common sense is comical yet sad in a bad way.

#34     Oct 28, 2006
  5. #35     Oct 28, 2006
  6. Here you go. I say you have that drink and then crank this up every morning:

Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Song: That Smell

Lyric:

Whiskey Bottles, and brand new cars

oak tree your in my way

there is too much coke

and too much smoke

look what's goin on inside you

chorus

ooh that smell

can't you smell that smell

ooh that smell

can't you smell that smell

the smell of death surrounds you

Angle of darkness is upon you

stuck a needle in your arm

(you fool you)

So take another toke

have a blow for ya nose

one more drink fool will drown you

(yeah you)

chorus

They call you prince charmin

can't speak a word when your full of ludes

say you be all right come tommorrow

but tommorrow might not be here for you

yeah you

chorus

Stick them needles in your arm

I know i been there before

One little problem that confronts you

got a monkey on your back

just one more fix, lord

might do the trick

one hellofa cost for you to get your kicks

( yeah you )

just one more fix lord, might do the trick

one hellofa cost for you to get your kicks

hell yeah

chorus

#36     Oct 28, 2006
  7. Yikes! Drinking while you are trading is like a tree surgeon climbing a tree with a chain saw in one hand and a flask of Jack Daniels in the other.

If you lack courage (confidence) to take bigger positions, your fear may be well grounded. Maybe you just need a plan to prove rationally that bigger sizes are justified.

#37     Oct 28, 2006
  8. Not "drinking" which implies having several to many drinks rather having ONE drink prior to the open. Everyone reacts differently to alcohol and I know my body and mind better than anyone here. When I've had one drink under my belt, I feel exactly the way I want to feel. Its not MUCH of a difference just ever so slightly but that improvement is that extra confidence to do the right thing yet, at the same time, easily in control of my thoughts and motor skills. If I didnt think I could function physically, I would most certainly not put my hard earned money on the line. Of course, I expect criticism for starting this thread. This is an alternative solution to stepping one's game up. Cap. Obvious made a very good post about the dependency that could develop and that is certainly something that would stop me from trying this out. Even if it did work and I could make more money, its certainly not worth the risk of dependency.

#38     Oct 28, 2006
  9. I became profitable the first time around while taking paxil -- I don't think it ever left my system, although the "edge" sure went away after a couple years :)

#39     Oct 28, 2006
  10. Joab

Joab

Ok I'm going to assume your a young man and treat you as such.

What everyone is saying to you is that it ALWAYS just starts with ONE that's not the issue, the issue is where that leads you to.

If you don't have the discipline to even control your emotions whilst trading what makes you think you can control the demon of alcohol ??

You never reward BAD BEHAVIOR that's a huge mistake and your asking for big trouble.

#40     Oct 28, 2006