A Dow Theory ‘sell’ signal could happen any day now

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Error Correction Funder, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Interesting. It mentions a study done in the 90s. Anyone know how the theory has performed more recently? Thanks ECS, definately going to be watching this. Its amazing how much this theory outperformed the market, and probably suffered way, way less drawdowns, being as simple as it is and known for long as it was (assuming it is still beating the market).

Thanks!

2. SunTrader

SunTrader

LOL the theory beats the crowd. Shocking.

And it is going to "signal" after the market has dropped 11%, 12% already!!!!

The theory of course will probably get you back in after a 11%, 12% rise too.

Books and books on it can't be wrong. Nah.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. southall

southall

How often in the last 9 years has Dow Theory given a 'sell' signal?

4. %%
    Good question;
    not too often, so its most likely still helpful.LOL. BUT another problem with it, the transports that were in it in ,1929s-30s not real helpful today.LOL SPY +QQQ ....tend to do better than DOW/DIA. But with GS pushing emerging markets OK; DIA/DOW may get OK -:cool::cool:LOL

5. wildchild

wildchild

I am not impressed with articles that talk about things that 'could', 'may', or 'might' happen. Call me up when it actually does happen then let me see you put your money where your mouth is if it is so convincing.

6. %%
    OK they did that in some markets, by end of day.But while one could still find some useful things in DOW Theory, i like to read/ study it.All of original Dow stocks have been sold, so original poster could be ......LOL. So never give up on all of Dow Theory LOL. And IBD was never impressed with WSJ picking 30 more stocks LOL They had GE[last of original Dow stocks] with a large picture of a GE light bulb blow up,2018 .NOT a prediction.:cool::cool:

7. wildchild

wildchild

I dont have any problem with Dow Theory or those who practice it. I have a problem with those who use non-committal language to try to act like they know what they are talking about. Dont tell me about what could happen, what might happen, what may happen. Anything could happen, might happen, or may happen. If you believe the market will make a move, tell everyone what move you think the market or an individual stock will make then lets see what happens. Better yet, don't tell anyone, just throw some money down on the belief and become richer or poorer based on your belief.

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Actually, Murray is cool as sh*t... but that is a great post. Cut and paste it for Soes. :D

9. yiehom

yiehom

Do you mean there were no lower low and lower high since then? It might depend on the timeframe.

#10     Apr 1, 2018