A Decade After Crisis, Investors Have Stopped Hunting for Black Swans

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Sep 5, 2017.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

2. RedDuke

RedDuke

Possibly, but ironically an absence of black swans up till now and possibly for years in the future is a black swan in itself.

Chris Mac likes this.
  3. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

When everyone least expects it, they drop the curtain. Mom and pop are most likely not going to sell before because of the news articles "S&P 500 hits a new all time high."
    It enticed them to hold for the past hundred years, who's to say this time is different?
    And, it's a shame they get burned like this but the primary dealers are not colluding for just pennies.

Just waiting on the word.

i960 likes this.
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Investors are fickle. It was real easy to open a long volatility fund in 2009 when spx vol was at 30. It's real hard now that vol is at 10.

They go where the money was most recently made.

DeltaRisk likes this.
  5. It's much easier to trade day in, day out boringly and relatively steadily...

Instead of hunting and betting on black swans, or somewhat rare events, o_O (the Quarterlies game included)

You want frequency...that's Key, -- higher revolutions, generally equals higher potential overall returns,

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    SteveM and vanzandt like this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

So true.

SteveM likes this.
  7. Must give Taleb a big royal pain

8. Black Swans don't exist anymore until the next one hits

- Einstein Obvious

vanzandt likes this.
  9. I never believe Black Swan exists, unless I see one.

DeltaRisk likes this.
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

Taleb himself closed his own Empirica fund after bleeding too much waiting for a black swan.

#10     Sep 6, 2017