A couple of thoughts regarding Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BlueStreek, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Guys, there is the door!

#21     Jan 24, 2011

2. any (other) broker's dream ;-)

#22     Jan 24, 2011
  3. It sounds like those of you having issues with IB may need to delete some of your old JAVA files. I was experiencing a small delay between the BookTrader and the Charts (charts were playing catch up). Deleting my old Java files fixed the issue and have not had an issue since. Smallest time frame that I use is 1 min (no tick charts) and IB data has not let me down.

#23     Jan 24, 2011
  4. Is it just me, or do IB charts not resize to accommodate a timeframe like 1 day?

They start off showing all data, but new data pushes data off to the left, so you are no longer seeing 1 day.

Of course our beloved QuoteTracker does not have this issue.

I have a feeling there might be suicides if and when QT stops working.

#24     Jan 24, 2011
  5. I'm getting the impression that IB is operated like another bucket shop. so in a way, you're trading against the house. they'd have to implement a system to "steal" your money.

so far, IB sucks

one way to get their attention is to go to yahoo forums and spread the bad news!

#25     Jan 24, 2011
  6. Bob111

Bob111

not true..i've made a lot of money with IB and because of IB's unique features and products..i can scream and yell all day long about shitty,buggy TWS and their IT dept,but that's the only complaint i have..
    can't complain about taking money out..ACH-always on my bank account on next day after request. cost-zero. can't beat that.
    even if they do trade against you-the quotes do match with NBBO and typically you get a bit better price than NBBO.imo-nothing wrong with that(but they usually right and very next trade is usually executed at better price than yours)

#26     Jan 24, 2011
  7. IB overall is a great outfit. Decent commissions, full range of products, and I even think customer service isn't as bad as alot of people say. No complaints about execution either (filled me at low tick today on YM, and this is not uncommon ... see attachment).

But I do agree with Bob and most of the complainers ... the priorities in the development dept seem seriously out of whack.
    I know they try to keep up with all the requests for new features, but I would KILL for a solid year or 2 of NO NEW UPDATES but with EVERYTHING WORKING PROPERLY.

The latest ridiculous bug I found, which is unfortunately present in both available browser versions, is that changing a limit price from the dropdown on the main TWS page causes activation of the cell behind the dropdown, which results in a sudden scroll of the TWS window. It's a pain to have this bizarre unintended autoscroll when you're trying to stay on top of things in the heat of battle.

Also, note to DAV ... still waiting for the chart axis font re-sizing I was assured had been approved almost 4 months ago.

#27     Jan 24, 2011
  8. I'm not so sure about bundling every 250 ms. For the HSI and the KOSPI I see really weird spikes in the volume data.

I posted this almost a year ago here, but no one responded. My hypothesis is that IB is missing volume and they go back and correct the volume and data every 15 seconds or so.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196373

#28     Jan 25, 2011
  9. Scratch that ... I just noticed for the first time there is a font selection box.

#29     Jan 25, 2011
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

I know exactly what you mean. I see it all the time on KOSPI and had to develop indicator separating “real” flow from the volume spikes, but it is not ideal. I asked the same questions few times but no one could give me an answer. Sometime volume spikes are very large, but they do not affect anything on DOM (bid/ask do not move) Could be some kind of block trades.

#30     Jan 26, 2011