A concrete plan for third world economic development

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gpickett00, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I accepted a job starting this fall in a poor suburb 50 miles outside of Lima Peru. The job is in economic/business development. I'm 22 and graduating this summer with a degree in economics. My employer told me that there is a mediocre program I could implement but it is very open-ended what I decide to to do with the resources I'm given.

From what I've been told, the town is pretty far behind as far as education and business practices. The local and national government are cooperative with my organization.I expect that if given the opportunity I could do something really great with the 3 years I will be there.

I am well versed in free market economics and pretty knowledgeable regarding finance and investing. Most of my knowledge right now is theoretical and I don't quite have the skills for what I'm embarking upon. However, I am just beginning to read about the actual process of creating real economic or business development in a third world country.

If anyone has any plans from development organizations or advice for resources that will help me accomplish my goal, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.