A company of top-tier traders for a cause: would you be interested?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TraderGreg, May 6, 2009.

1. ATLien

ATLien

I think my head just exploded. Too bad I can't mod here.

#31     May 7, 2009
  2. sjfan

sjfan

It's kind of amazing that Jack isn't banned by now.

#32     May 7, 2009
  3. dhpar

dhpar

:D :D :D :D :D

i am glad jack is not banned.

every evening after trading he gives me a great laugh. recently it has become better and better - i wonder what jack smokes..

#33     May 7, 2009
  4. Neoxx

Neoxx

Seems biting the hand that feeds is no longer a suitable analogy.

ETers are far more eager to sever the arm at the shoulder.

#34     May 7, 2009
  5. It's a funny place. One of our colleagues works part time for several foundations (NFP's). Collectively, she notes, there is some struggling going on.

The first level of struggle is regarding the incoming donations from "outsiders" who believe in the work of the given NFP. The flow rate is down.

The second level is that which is going on and reported by the news: the severe shrinkage of the "managed" endowments of the NFP's which chose to only spend a portion of their capital each year. The shrinkage is a multiple of annual spending in most cases and this makes the impending end of resourses a serious consideration.

Obviously, I should be banned for making this point by critiquing the strategy of sjfan.

A real issue in the construct of using top tier traders to manage is that top tier traders make many times the expenditures of the rules endowments must follow and, therefore, tax penalties kick in that sjfan is certainly aware of and disregarding, temporarily.

In the insurance industry, a lot of financial planning is done to have the insurance wealth growth increment approach the level of a Modified Endowment Contract (MEC) as a way to avoid any taxes on the insurance capital growth. In effect, the insurance is free because the premiums cost less that the increase in wealth.

This wealth is borrowed against where it is "collateral".

So most "growth oriented" NFP's do not go the endowment route because as sjfan has revealed three times endowments do not work for several pragmatic reasons at the level of trader performance his understands to be competent and so on.

By not being in the endowment category, a chartiable foundation is able to grow unrestrained (as in my 146 minute example which made 46.5 K on 20K) and further, seeds from such NFP's can be applied to capitalize any kind of problem solving situation. This has a name in the NFP world. It is called "incubating".

At some point, successful seeding can be exported and duplicated. Building models of such for export is a thing that is sometimes done by NFP's. There is a two way street here. There are people who seek to use such models and people who seek to be the funders and creators of models.

Tradergreg appeared to me to be three things:

1. A seeker of how a model NLP would create solutions to problems by modelling,

2. He seemed to be a person who recognized that top trading skills would make building capital for problem solving easier, and

3. He recognized that there was a leadership aspect involved in all of this.

Thus for me he seemed, immediately worth inverviewing as a "seeker" and worth checking out as a potential place to transfer capital at a remote location that may have problems that we have modelled (or could remotely model).

So I threw some common basic paper work at him that I knew he would have to handle. I also notified him of what making money trading looked like for a person who had gone through the steps under discussion in this thread. No one would expect him to operate manually but, instead, he could have used a support sytem (in computereze these are ATS's for different levels of streams of capital and for different strings donors attach to their gifts (a term used to describe NEW money)).

He is not phishing to learn to trade, unfortunately. And his plans do not call for making money as stated by him and by sjfan with whom he has gone back and forth trying to educate sjfan.

In NFP's success breeds success. There are no NFP fo Dummy books out there. And there are no endowmnet management successful practices out there either, with few exceptions.

What there is, though, is sharing among people of like mind who know how to get the job done. See you guys in Vegas.

#35     May 8, 2009
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Apparently it's some good shit.

#36     May 9, 2009
  7. Can't.. let.. this.. thread... die.... yet.

Earlier tonight, one of my buddies asked me if I've ever tried 'shrooms. I informed him that I haven't because after reading Jack Hershey's posts, psychedelics would no longer be enough to stimulate a response and ginger sure as hell won't quell the nausea.

#37     Jun 11, 2009
  8. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

the problem is that who's going to make all the money? many traders who work for trading companies aren't successful at making money. they just place trades and try to minimize losses.

#38     Jun 11, 2009
  9. ehorn

ehorn

Indeed!

What a fascinating concept. One which would appear to highlight a recurring inducement.

#39     Jun 14, 2009