A Commodimetric Approach to Trading Silver

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Argent, Aug 11, 2011.

1. If silver bullets can deal with werewolves, they can also deal with lesser primates such as vampires and normal folk.

#31     Aug 13, 2011
  2. Argent

Argent

In fact I saw somewhere in my recent gun-nut surfing that someone sells silver-plated bullets for reloading. Remington UMC makes a line of cartridges with nickel-plated bullets for smooth chambering. Betcha the monsters wouldn't know the difference. A side story on wild animules. The wife said, "What the hell is THAT drinking from our birdbath?" "Damn! That's strange! Looks like a dog! (it was a beautiful grey cougar)" We watch it and it wanders around and makes itself at home, flopped down in the groundcover like any old cat. I go have a talk with it at a careful distance. It likes it here, it says. Lots of birds and rabbits and fat lizards and cats and small dogs. The wife says "Throw a stick at it! (doesn't work)" "Throw a rock at it! (doesn't work)" So with a low-charged .22 pellet pistol in my left hand and a .357 magnum loaded with birdshot in my right, I pop it in the ass with the pellet gun. To persuade, one must always choose the medium of communication appropriate to your audience. First time I ever shot left-handed, too.

But we digress. Did you buy silver like I told you to?

#32     Aug 13, 2011
  3. No. But I bought some extra vodka.

#33     Aug 13, 2011
  4. Argent

Argent

Hmmmm. If there's a market for vodka gurus, I might start a chart service. But Everclear would probably be a cleaner product, pricewise. Chart the price of the 1.75 liter bottle in a major metro market against some relevant ags and give buy/sell, or rather buy/drink, calls.

On second thought, how about an indicator that says "buy silver/drink vodka" or "sell silver/buy vodka?"

#34     Aug 13, 2011
  5. Argent

Argent

As an aside, I can't figure ET out. I post something jive-assed down here, and get responses, but post seriously up here

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=225403

and get nothing. Could it be that ET cannot tell the difference between serious and jive-assed? Perhaps new thought patterns are needed: jive-assed serious and seriously jive-assed.

#35     Aug 13, 2011
  6. Argent

Argent

OK. Why are you making this so hard? Many times have I taught a class I thought were dummies. Usually it turned out they couldn't learn the material the way I wanted them to. Since they couldn't change for me, I had to change for them. In the present context, I have recast the BUYSILVERFORDUMMIES system so that it is patently obvious that you sell when the system's ossindicator is high and you buy when the system's indosillator is low. Sell high, buy low. Get it? My apologies for being a dense guru. But it is still your fault. Now maybe you will get it. And as long as you aren't paying me, I will insult you all I like.

#36     Aug 13, 2011
  7. Samsara

Samsara

Those are prime entries.

I see a price study and a square wave, the latter of which appears to be a ratio of (I'm guessing, based on the thread title) something more than just the price history of silver itself. Hard to determine anything more than that, besides the pristine entries of those four signals.

In the past I remember a square wave price study -- effectively MAs of the both the highs and lows of an instrument with something like a .04 coefficient -- which you mentioned using to trade gold, although not as entry/exit but to determine trend. This doesn't appear related.

I'd suggest putting together a journal of rt calls: I think this would seriously allow people to address the merits.

Honestly, I've had mixed success with price alone. I no longer use price history for entries, only exits in rare high volatility events. Curious to know if that's where you've found your success.

#37     Aug 13, 2011
  8. Argent

Argent

In truth I was looking for a way to quantify my gut feels about silver. My wife bitches at me when another tube comes in the post and asks "Why the hell did you buy more? Don't you know my Botox appointment is coming up?" It's embarrassing when I say "My ass wouldn't quit itching" or "My left ear started filling up with wax again." So I thought seriously about how I form a gestalt of the market from the twenty miniature market influences I look at periodically. And it hit me how I was deciding unconsciously that silver was cheap or dear. Protagoras said that "Man is the measure of all things." So what is the measure of silver's worth? Anyway, so now I can go online and show my wife "See, this Frenchfry Argent says BUY! You know 'argent' means 'money' in French, so he must be pretty smart!"

The square wave band study you are recalling was the invention of that idiot savant Joe Doaks. It is an inverse thermostat that creates a deadband between the 50ema of the high and the 50 ema of the low. I dredged up an historical example of a Doaks post from some years back on ET and attached it.

As to the merits of this silver system, I really don't give a shit. It may or may not work, time will tell. I just invented it last week, for goodness sake.

#38     Aug 13, 2011
  9. Commodimetric means that you measure the size (with a metric tape, inches are no good in this case) of your commode each time before you sit on it to buy silver. Right?.

Re. Vodka. I distill my own as I can't trust what other people make it from. It's cheaper too.

#39     Aug 13, 2011
  10. Argent

Argent

Indeed. Commodeometric. Commodimetric means "measured relative to other commodities." At least that's what it would mean if I hadn't just invented the term. Go google it. All you'll see is me. Now Argent is famous.

You distill your own? Really? Which still do you use? I have never found one that I liked the look of. And are you using table scraps as the source of the mash?

#40     Aug 13, 2011