A chat with Pabst, et. al.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ricter, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Please explain.

#11     Jun 18, 2006
  2. It's discipline that conditions you.

Essentially - this ought to resonate with you - you're creating a 'new environment' (a smoke-free one) to which you eventually adapt. You just have to maintain discipline (ie tolerate discomfort) until you do adapt to the new environment.

It's similar to how going to the gym is a huge drag for most people, until they've been going for sufficient time to see some results, at which point it becomes, at least in some ways, pleasurable.

Another example might be welfare dependants - you won't like this one, I'm sure - being taken off welfare, or having their level of 'benefits' (lord, what a term) reduced. After the intial wailing and moaning, they adapt to the new environment and life goes on.

That's not to say I believe environment rules all; that role is reserved for biology.

#12     Jun 20, 2006
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

new environment ( smoke free ) .. 3 days of physical dependency which if conquered comes with a lifetime of psychological dependency...in other words adapting to the new environment will take you a lifetime of discipline..like they say.."once an addict always an addict"

#13     Jun 20, 2006
  4. I'm not really sure I understood all that. Is it really that much trouble to type in complete sentences, Cubano?

Anyway, it's demonstrably false that a lifetime is not required, at least not for everybody. I've been cigarette-free for six years (almost to the day) now. Discipline isn't even part of the picture.

#14     Jun 22, 2006