A cautionary tale for system developers

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Jerry030, Feb 19, 2008.

1. nitro

nitro

Java is ok. I disagree that D won't happen. MSFT is backing it now. Java would be a distant choice well behind D and Python for me.

Python, or to be very exact, numPy, is extremely interesting to me, as numPy is essentially a vector programming language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Array_programming

Thing is, it would have to be embeddable. I have seen embedded python. I just don't know how fast this whole thing is going to fly. That said, for some of my projects, numPy is very enticing. Ideal would be numPy.Net, perhaps using a port of numPy to IronPython. Doesn't exist AFAIK.

Agreed.

nitro

#71     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Java had it's chance to shine and ....it blew it....largely because of the ever-so-slow Java Community Process.
    Several large Java trading platforms have been unable to use JRE 1.6 because of bugs.....and after 6 months since release ? Unexcusable....I'm sorry, even MSFT can do better than that.
    Funny you mentioned vector processing. Isn't it strange that c++ is so weak in the area of vectors and matrixes and then you've got to utilize a complex framework like the Boost libraries to use c++ for trading apps ? Strange, there's no great dev environments remaining except Dot-Net. VB6 was once a great but MSFT killed it forever and made VB.NET so convoluted, it doesn't even ressemble Basic. So that leaves C#.
    Sorry for the ranting.

#72     Feb 26, 2008
  3. man

man

boils down to: two guys can't communicate. no big thing. split with
    your girlfriend and start a thread. sounds the same.

#73     Feb 27, 2008