A bucket of cold water for newbies...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by lilduckling, Jun 27, 2008.

1. siki13

siki13

I really would like to know how can a successful trader earn 10 % per year.
    Lets say you have 5 trades a day which makes around 1000 trades per year.
    If you truly know how to trade than 10%
    is ridiculously small number.

#11     Jun 28, 2008
  2. I think the point to take home is that the 10% return is ON AVERAGE. You might have some better years and some worse years.

Are you telling me that all the 1000 trades in a year, for the next ten years, are going to perform well? Surely not, and therefore a 10% average annual return is a realistic and notable achievement.

Look up the term "ergodicity".

#12     Jun 28, 2008
  3. siki13

siki13

:D :D

#13     Jun 28, 2008
  4. In 1849 to 1850 people from all over the globe flooded into California with a feverish determination of getting their share of gold..... gold that was supposably just lining the ground and rivers.
    Soon, there were a vast amount of shops that catered to these miners.... selling everything from picks and pans to ropes, bags, and other camping items to aid in getting your gold. New arrivals would look around and see all these shops and thought how surely it meant the majority of the masses were striking it rich.
    Soon after they resistered their claim .... they soon found out the the only people who would help them "find" all of this gold that was laying about were the shop owners... who were all to happy to sell their equiptment to them. (sound familiar).
    As far as the gold.... the very very rare few that did stike it rich... well, they werent going around asking others to help them carry out the gold from their claim site. Locations_ that produced gold were (beleive it or not) not advertised. Rumors...... and misimformation is what the inspiring prospectors went by. And a few that got too close to the wrong claim were killed.... especially if they were none white.
    In the end ... the vast majority more than 90% , left worse off then when they arrived..... completely broke._ Lucky ones still managed to be able to get back to their countries.... many could not afford it.Whats this have to do with trading today?Well, we certainly still have the "shops" tailored to the prospectors, and we still have people coming in thinking that the money is just there.... waiting to be picked up.

#14     Jun 28, 2008
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

technically the money is there it's as simple as a click of the mouse.....1 account, 1 screen, 1 internet connection...

now the easiest way to make it and keep it is in one shot one gamble....

in "Why Flip A Coin?" the author states...that one would stand a better chance at one shot one killl; than dying by 1000 cuts.. I concur...picking a side, putting on a trade for all your marbles and never watching the intrument again until 1 of 2 things happens would most defintiely bring the "98% of traders fail" theory to a screaching halt....peace

#15     Jun 28, 2008
  6. NY0BScalper,
    Excellent analysis! One thing I disagree with is that there is only 3M/year in inefficiencies. 3M is enough to feed ~50 daytraders, but there are more than that on ET alone. Unless the success claims I hear 10-100X exaggerated.

#16     Jun 28, 2008
  7. I agree there are more than 3m/year in inefficiencies but for one trader to be catching that is unlikely... but even if he does and his return on capital is exceptional, it would be totally useless to many institutions that achieve much smaller returns on capital on vastly larger sums.

While I agree many won't have the skills, patience, or quickness to pick it up, the money in this case actually is sitting there waiting to be picked up...

#17     Jun 28, 2008
  8. If you say to someone you want to be a millionaire and they have never made a million in their lives they will be negative and bash your hopes.

If you say to someone who has made a million and is wealthy
    the same thing ( I want to be a millionaire) they will encourage
    you and try to help you get to your dream

So when you make a statement like you cannot take money out of the market at over a certain % it should set off an alarm that
    your point of reference is such that you have either never met
    anyone who has been successful in the market or you yourself have found it hard to take money from the market.

Now that being said do you feel you are doing a service to the traders here ?

Not being a wise guy but being negative never has helped
    anyone it any endeavor

Please think of all the people that have done great things !

You feel they would have made it if they consulted with you first?

Take Care,

Joe Baker

#18     Jun 28, 2008
  9. Thanks Joe, that was needed.
    -H

#19     Jun 28, 2008
  10. I never said it couldnt be done..... i just factly or maybe coldly stated that the odds are greatly agaisnt you. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar, pure and simple.

As far as being negetive, i've been on this board a few years now and i have for the most part helped out and encouraged brand new traders. But i believe in showing both sides of the coin... i dose of reality once in a great while in this trading world can be like a rudder on a ship.......

#20     Jun 28, 2008