a beginner's attempt at the pairs

Discussion in 'Forex' started by big mac, Nov 15, 2016.

1. I know earlier there were some strong trends...but at the moment , all currencies are clearly going through some random pattern ( congestion) ...better take a shower and might just go to bed ( it's getting midnight in NZ )

#51     Nov 18, 2016
  2. mlawson71

mlawson71

That's what always happens after a period of high volatility, it won't last long.

#52     Nov 18, 2016
  3. I don't know what the fundamental value of US pairs now because of a expected change in U.S. Interest rate in December, if anyone can advice please do so... But I am really hesitated to go against US dollar at the moment ( but still I do because I am a high frequency trader, uses both momentum and constrarian strategy) I have seen some guys are talking about new high and new lows in U.S. Pairs, but you can only talk about it when there is no new information. When there is a change in fundamental value, there is no point in talking about it.

It's time to do some research now

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    #53     Nov 19, 2016
  4. U.S. Dollar is keep strengthening. I will download journals on the impact of interest rate on currency to get the idea of the post announcement effect

#54     Nov 19, 2016
  5. mlawson71

mlawson71

True. But that means a steady move in one direction, not whipsaws that lead nowhere.

#55     Nov 19, 2016
  6. Exactly. But I also want to find out the impact of this change in U.S. Stock market as well as bond market too.
    Now foreign commercial traders (hedgers including the swap banks, especially the sides that need to meet the obligation) will worry about the currency risk so they will start to buy forward contracts. This is what we have seen last few days after the announcement.
    So it will likely to continue until US dollar appreciate to the level that reflects the new fundamental value, which we don't know yet...
    From next week, I will definitely focus on more long positions by following hedgers (momentum strategy) but I will still play with short positions by following speculators (aka constrarian strategy).

Any thoughts on this regard, please share.

#56     Nov 19, 2016
    mlawson71 likes this.
  7. algofy

algofy

Big Mac blow out already?

#57     Nov 19, 2016
  8. I have been always disappointed to see my favourite wrestlers get eliminated too quickly in WWE royal rumble.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.png

#58     Nov 19, 2016
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  9. Japanese grandparents are expected to buy US Treasury bonds and so are Chinese parents...
    What's more? Importers/loanees who need to pay back to meet their current obligation, they will deposit their money in US banks to minimise currency risk and they get interest on the top of it.
    Don't even mention the swap banks.

The whole world is now exposed to the systmatic risk.

US dollars will strengthen more this week.
    I think 1US dollar=1 EUR. 120 Yen = 1 US dollar. $.69 AU = $1 US dollar
    all will happen soon

Buy low US dollar and sell other currencies high

#59     Nov 20, 2016
  10. big mac

big mac

lol, vc.

Stepped in front of the bull train and got stopped. I knew the risk on that play going in, and thats what my stops are there for.

shorted usdjp @11093

stop set @11148

#60     Nov 21, 2016