A beginner wants to make it

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by d0n, Jan 6, 2012.

1. speero

speero

Best advice I can give you - find a mentor who has been successful for years consistently, and become a sponge.

You sound like me when I started a few years ago and I'll say this: all that garbage technical analysis you were talking about did not help me one bit. Remember this - every trader is different, because something works for someone doesn't mean it will work for you.

It will take you a while to find your style, your personality, and your appetite for risk. Don't become anxious to make money, just focus on the process of learning, and above all, being CONSISTENT.

That's the best advice I can give.

#21     Jan 16, 2012
  2. emg

emg

Tell d0n the truths and facts about small traders. Do u want me to tell him/her?

#22     Jan 17, 2012
  3. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

This; though finding a mentor who's any good will be tough.

#23     Jan 17, 2012
  4. speero

speero

Definitely... as a matter of fact, in my experience, nearly impossible. There's so many benefits to networking nowadays - just THIS forum for example, or stocktwits, etc. While there's a lot of garbage, there's some diamonds in the rough, just have to find who is legit.

#24     Jan 19, 2012
  5. SREC

SREC

Ok but what do you think trading the market is? A part time gig anytime you wish?

It's an 8-5 commitment plus additional hours of research & testing.

#25     Jan 20, 2012
  6. usrx201

usrx201

It's extremely likely your mentors are not just depending on those three lagging indicators you mentioned, the stoch and CCI and MACD.

You need to learn about some "leading indicators" ideas such as price action, divergences in order to anticipate and confirm a more likely move since stoch and CCI taken by itself crossing over threshold lines will always be lagging by one bar usually after the close. Also try to incorporate support and resistance line awareness in your trading. And also some "dynamic s/r" such as a 60 ema. If trading stocks or stock futures indexes such as the ES, the $TICK can be helpful since the TICK pretty much shows what most stocks are doing.

that you mentioned a candle pattern in conjunction with a certain CCI move is good. when you are using more indicators in conjunction with certain price action patterns the probability gets improved. And be aware of using indicators such as the CCI in different ways, such as drawing trendlines on the CCI itself. But just finding a way to trade off just one indicator rarely works in the long run. It will take experience with price and learning to get out early when there is no reason for the edge lasting anymore. Good luck.

#26     Jan 20, 2012
  7. speero

speero

That's the exact impression I get from my friends when I tell them I primarily only trade the first few hours of the day and have the profit targets that I do. Seems like unless I explain in great detail the pain and struggle one goes through to get to a profitable point in their career do they fully undertand the commitment.

#27     Jan 20, 2012
  8. So u came in with a "beginner thread" and want to be successful in trading.

Who here in this forum doesn't want to be successful ?

So if I say theres a sense in what you are doing ? Why would I tell u? I'll probasbly take what you've said, put in onto my existing syste to see if there's Alpha, period. btw did I see wrongly ? $2,000-$3,000 USD ?

Go to Las Vegas. Its faster.

#28     Jan 28, 2012

9. Using indicators is a dead end
    Use your eyes instead
    And automate!
    Read a book about Mone Carlo

#29     Jan 28, 2012
  10. hkrahra

hkrahra

A beginner wants to take it like a man

:D

#30     Jan 28, 2012