_Why do we even need the insurance companies?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by walter4, Oct 15, 2009.

1. GIVE THIS IDIOT A PRIZE!

do you god damn people actually believe what you spew?

or are you just exercising your right to be ignorant?

#21     Oct 16, 2009
  2. You're correct, my health is not a business. However, taking care of my health issues is a business. Doctors and nurse's don't work for free. Hospitals and clinics have overhead. Somebody has to pay for that and that somebody is me. Since I can't afford the exorbitant cost of that care I must have insurance to offset that cost. In comes the insurance industry. They don't work for free either. It all costs money!
    Now you can offset your healthcare costs by paying insurance premiums, or you can pay for it out of your tax dollars, but you're gonna' pay for it. You'd rather the money go to the government. I'd rather it go to the private sector. The problem is not going to be solved by trying to manipulate who collects the premiums. The problem is the cost in and of itself, waste, inefficiency and plain old corruption.
    Are the insurance companies guilt free? Of course not! But you wanting to replace them with government officials is just replacing one thief with another. The problem won't get fixed and worse yet, we'll all pay more for less. You know it, I know it, and everyone with a ounce of intellectual honesty knows it.

#22     Oct 16, 2009
  3. dsq

dsq

Healthcare should be a right not a privilege.We have our priorities all fkd up in this country.We spend at min. 500bil on defence.We spend 100bil no problem every year for this endless war yet people complain about 50 bil for healthcare?To take care of its own citizens???
    Dont kid yourself HMO coverage is a TAX.And a lot higher than any govt run system would be.
    I would trust the govt thief over the corporate thief any day of the week.At least you have recourse with the govt.
    Socialized healthcare is much better and cheaper than the farce we have here.I have seen it in canada and france and it blows this crap away.In france i had swollen tonsil and went into a local doctors office without appointment(37$) and got a diagnosis and prescription meds for 23$-in less than an hour.The doctor visit alone here with my insurance would have been 110$

#23     Oct 16, 2009
  4. Quite a ripple effect spending 1.5 million dollar a day has towards salvaging your multi billion dollar excuse for a business. How many times do you have to be reminded of McGuire, the former CEO of United HealthCare got a 1.1 billion dollars golden parachute after leaving in the face of indictments for backdating
    options. It boggles.

#24     Oct 16, 2009
  5. Either you are the nitwit or you simply mis-understand what we are saying. We aren't saying that we expect the health insurance companies to operate without making a profit: WE ARE SAYING THERE WOULD BE NO HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES.

All of the monies currently going to the health insurance companies would be redirected into a single payer, government administered health care system. The money that is currently spent paying million dollar salaries to CEO's, salaries paid to large numbers of Vice Presidents, marketing costs, sales salaries, and all other unnecessary and redundant administrative costs would be moved to providing actual health care.

#25     Oct 16, 2009
  6. Why do we need the Veteran's administration health care for vets, which is socialized medicine funded by tax dollars, if private insurance is a better method?

#26     Oct 16, 2009
  7. Great point. Also, why did we see so many senior citizens rasing hell in the town hall meetings this summer about 'takin' 'way my medicare'. i actually heard one idiot say; 'the government better not interfere with my medicare' !!!

Of course they are happy; they get cheap AND great medical care. It all boils down to 'selfishness': they got theirs and screw the rest of you. Same thing with those that have employee-sponsored health care: until they don't.

#27     Oct 16, 2009
  8. Nice idea in theory, but it won't work in the real world. Do you actually believe that the government will take all those marketing costs, salaries and other costs associated with running a insurance company without stealing every god damn dime? Please, you cannot be that ignorant. There will be no savings with a government system. We'll all pay more in the end and we'll all get less.
    I cannot for the life of me understand how you folks believe the government can pull this off without taxing us all in to poverty. What do you base that trust on? If this were a trade, what would be the probability of it working out? Zero! No one in their right mind would take a trade like that.
    It all boils down to a matter of trust and money. I simply don't trust the government with any more of my money than they already steal from me.

#28     Oct 16, 2009
  9. Actually; it does work. It works in every industrialized nation on the planet except the USA. When has 'government' (which is you and me, btw), ever 'failed or done something to lose your trust !?!? Why in the world would you trust your health care to corporatations who interest lies in DENYING payments for your health care !?!?

Since the 'government' is you and me, it cannot 'steal'.

#29     Oct 16, 2009
  10. The Veteran's administration is a single payer (tax payer) program that works...

No reason why the model won't work for all Americans...

The money saved will create jobs, make health care affordable, etc.

#30     Oct 16, 2009