'99ers' exhaust benefits, Thousands are banding together to ask for more extensions!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, May 2, 2010.

1. olias

olias

Hippie, I agree with you. It's not easy to find a decent job right now for most people. I'm not going to say the 99ers are lazy, but I still don't think the benefits should be extended. Those folks are going to have to lower their sights and find another way to make it. It's gonna be tough, but if the benefits don't end now...then when?

#41     May 3, 2010
  2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

They are constantly hiring. Its hard work and they have very high attrition.

#42     May 3, 2010
  3. I agree that 99 weeks of benefits is a long time. Few would accept a job that pay less than their benefits and I don't blame them.

A compromise would be allow more people to go on welfare instead of extending these benefits forever. Welfare is for basic survival so the jobless can eat and have basic shelter if they still can't find any work.

Some form of work-fare may be a good if there is work that needs to be done in a community that is not being done.

Those who are employed don't realized that even odd jobs are very hard to come by in some parts of the country. Perhaps too many of us all done for!

#43     May 3, 2010

4. BS!

For years I've been crawling out of a huge pit worse than any economic depression, long before this recession started, most of my life actually. The best years of my life were during the early to mid 80's in a hole called Michitgan, unfortunately there was 17% unemployment. I went through some horrible jobs that few would do for long.

If what you are doing is not working, you have to try something else until it does work. Eventually it will work even though you want, need it now.

Negativity will only bring you negative results. The hardest thing for me to do is think positive, keep saying positive things. You have to believe things will work out. Surprisingly, it actually does work.

#44     May 3, 2010
  5. olias

olias

great post

#45     May 3, 2010
  6. It may be BS if you are young. For older workers, time is running out. Many Employers simply do not want older workers. Positive thinking won't change that fact!

P/S -

I am working (temp work) and I do not get any fantastic 99 week benefits.

However, I do see for too many, jobs simply are not there .

#46     May 3, 2010
  7. olias

olias

You are right. People who haven't had to look don't understand, and underestimate how hard it is to find a decent job.

But come on, "done for"? It sucks but most people have family and friends they can stay with. Sucks to sleep on the floor or the couch, but it's far from being "done for". They will certainly be more motivated to find a job and (maybe this is the key) lower their standards on the kind of job/pay they will accept ...or get creative and create a job when the government stops handing them money for nothing.

#47     May 3, 2010
  8. What was the name of the company?

#48     May 3, 2010

9. Hard to feel sorry for you any longer. You have so much more than I have.

#49     May 3, 2010
  10. Okay, I use the term "done far" in response to an earlier post.

There many things a person in decent health can do:

1: Get a cheap camper as a home to help survive on odd jobs.
    2: If you still have some funds, relocate to a cheap country.
    3. Apply for Peace Corp if you are too old to join the military.
    4. Apply to the military if age and health permits.

It doesn't change the fact that there are not enough decent jobs for all who wants a job. Many so called jobs are commission-only, or have some way to get around minimum wage. You can work all day and not be able to pay for simple living expense for a single person who and to pay for simple housing - even with roommates.

#50     May 3, 2010