99.5% fail because trading is too simple, easy, and too boring

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chewbacca, Dec 11, 2007.

1. How does it feel to be in the top 0.5%?

edited!

#31     Dec 21, 2007
  2. You tell me. :confused:

#32     Dec 21, 2007

3. If a manager just flat out beats the market how much does he make that year?

If he consistently churns the account, but fails to beat the market, how much MORE did he make that year?

Not saying that managers are scamming the fund investors, but when you can make double or triple the amount by constantly moving into and out of different positions, wheres the incentive to focus on beating the market? Especially when you will not be judged for beating the market, you will be compared to how you did against every other manager, and you just have to be above the 50% point to be considered pretty good.

#33     Dec 22, 2007
  4. So if you think trading is so easy?

Can you do me a favor?

Just post a quick line and let me know what your going to trade next and your exit strategy.

I would truly appreciate it since I live for trading.

We are here to help one another, right?

Regards, Stockjock223

#34     Dec 22, 2007
  5. 2ez

2ez

Happy Holidays everyone ! !

I've said it before and I will say it again. IMO Trading is easy to learn. Mastering it is more challenging. We can all learn to run, but not everyone will be an Olympic Sprinter or Marathon Runner.

We can all learn to trade, but not everyone will be a Alex Gerchik (Wall Street Warriors)

Hmmmm ?

Was this already explained in Nassim Nicholas Taleb's book: Fooled By Randomness or what separates Alex Gerchik from others ?

Those that say it is easy or difficult.....can you explain what it is that you find easy or difficult.

#35     Dec 25, 2007
  6. Sometimes the most difficult things to learn are:

1. living well in the face of uncertainty (it surrounds us in all aspects of life but in trading it seems more apparent), and also knowing that the greatest trades sometimes lie on the outliers, where there exists the most uncertainty.

2. For me, and I am finishing a solution to this, some of the loneliness that occurs during the trading hours. This is on occasion, but basically takes some more planning on my part to improve.

3. The continuous and consistent conditioning of my mind to accept the money the markets offer me. To take what it gives me in any moment, and to be satisfied and grateful for that.

Some of the easiest things are;

1. Large winning days, days when you can fire all the bullets you have and there is market support to push you forward. Even your "mistakes" are washed out as winners.

2. Streaks of winning trades. We all know that they happen but it seems too easy. The work for this was done over the past 7 years.

3. Days when you lose and it's time to quit for the day. During holiday periods its easy to actually quit for the day and find some more satisfying ways to spend the hours: like with family, friends and things like that.

4. Never having to worry about where I want to go and when, since my trading can be done from nearly anywhere I have wanted to go. All my main work now is on laptops, as they have a built in power backup and redundancy that is very powerful.

So that's my short list of the easy and the difficult. Merry Christmas.

#36     Dec 25, 2007
  7. Trading is not that difficult. It takes time and effort to learn about the markets and develop a system but I think the number one reason most people fail is because of a lack of discipline. Most people lack discipline in all areas of their life. A good example is people who struggle wih their weight. most likely they are fat because they lack the discipline to eat healthy foods in moderate amounts. They would rather eat sugary, fatty, high calorie foods beacuse they taste good or they will eat some fast food or some shit out of a box because they are to lazy to make something healthy to eat. Most people don't have the discipline to get enough physical activity either. How many people join a gym and go on a diet on new years but then they fail to follow through with their diet and exercise plan? I would say the percentage is pretty high, maybe close to 90 percent.
    A lot of people go on these crazy fad diets that don't work instead of learning about nutrition and how their bodies work and developing a sensible plan to get to the weight they want to be. How many people buy stock trading systems or pay to go to seminars that are suppose to make them rich then they end up blowing out their accounts. I bet a high percentage of people do this. How many people dilligently study the markets, backtest their trading method then follow all the rules of their system. probably not very many
    I have found that every time I blew out an account was because I did'nt have the discipline to follow my stops. Discipline is the key. Mastery of the markets are more about mastery of yourself.

#37     Dec 25, 2007
    sharpe and Joe6Pack like this.
  8. Takes roughly four years to get almost any Bachelor Degree.

Takes a fair bit more for other careers and graduate levels/doctorates etc.

Trading roughly takes approximately 3-4 years to get it right.

By comparison we are not talking here about a PHD in thermo nuclear physics.

Even if you take losses into account I could debate that the cost of college is probably higher, depending on the losses of course.

Based on the above, trading is easy.

Anek

#38     Dec 25, 2007
  9. Trading is soo easy, I just flip a god damn coin. I think everyone else does this also! :)

Oh and please stop comparing trading to other professions. Trading is much like studying Philosophy, there are no right or wrong answers! Only one man's preception :)

#39     Dec 25, 2007
  10. Which trend are you referring to? There's 10min, 50 day, etc....and often thet are all in different directions. Just a thought.:)

#40     Dec 25, 2007