92 year old man murders a young man at work

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Sep 5, 2012.

1. hughb

hughb

Police refused to arrest him and now he demands his gun back!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-09-05/intruder-alert/57597076/1?csp=hf

VERONA, Ohio – After his house was burglarized three times in a 12-day stretch in August, Earl Jones decided he'd had enough.

By Patrick Reddy, Gannett

Mary Simpson talks with her neighbor Earl Jones, who shot and killed a burglar in his home.

Enlarge

By Patrick Reddy, Gannett

Mary Simpson talks with her neighbor Earl Jones, who shot and killed a burglar in his home.

Sponsored Links

So when the 92-year-old farmer heard a noise in his basement Monday morning, he got his .22 caliber rifle and waited to confront the intruders. He fired a single shot, killing Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell, 24.

Jones said he felt no remorse after shooting Maxwell.

STORY: 92-year-old Kentucky farmer kills home intruder

"I felt good," Jones said. "(Monday) was the best night's sleep I've had in a long time."

Authorities have no plans to charge Jones criminally. Jones has Kentucky law on his side, said Bruce McClure, director of the legal studies department at Northern Kentucky University.

When threatened by an intruder, "The statute does not require you to retreat even to the telephone (to call 911)," McClure said.

"The law doesn't contemplate that you would have to sit there and interrogate the intruder," McClure added. "His defense is that he had a right to presume that they meant to cause him harm. He's got the presumption in his favor."

Jones never thought about calling 911.

"I'm a military man -- I ain't going to dial somebody and have to wait for an hour while the guy shoots me in the face and is gone," Jones said. "Time is of the (essence)."

'Maybe this will stop all the stealing and robbing'

The current break-in attempt was captured on video because Boone County sheriff's investigators installed a motion-activated video camera at the Violet Drive home after it had been a target three times between Aug. 14 and Aug. 25, according to sheriff's spokesman Tom Scheben.

Scheben released the video Tuesday afternoon.

"The video quality is subpar but definitely shows activity in the house," Scheben said in a statement.

The video shows the first intruder crawled through a doggie door in Jones' basement. He slipped off a piece of wood securing the door. Then, he let in two accomplices.

Jones said he fired the shot after the intruder climbed up stairs and kicked in the door to the living room where he was sitting in his favorite chair, armed with the gun.

"He kicked it hard and dang near knocked it off the hinges," Jones said. "When the body appeared, that's when I raised the rifle, and I fired one shot. "

Jones aimed directly for Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell's heart, squeezed the trigger and saw the intruder tumble backwards down the stairs.

"I missed the shot by an inch," Jones said. "They all stop 'em, but the one that goes in the heart, that's the quickest. Maybe this will stop all this stealing and robbing."

Kenton County Police found Maxwell of Richmond, Ryan Dalton, 22, and Donnie Inabnit, 20, both of Dry Ridge, in a 2001 Chevrolet Impala on Courtney Road after they received a 911 call with a bogus story about Maxwell's wound, according to Scheben.

The two uninjured men later admitted their involvement in the incident, according to Scheben. They were charged with second-degree burglary and tampering with evidence for removing Maxwell from the scene.

'Castle doctrine'

Kentucky has a "Castle doctrine" enshrined in its laws. That's the right to defend one's home with deadly force.

Some states, including Kentucky, have expanded the Castle doctrine in recent years, giving people the right to use deadly force outside of their homes.

McClure of NKU said all but four states -- Nebraska, New Mexico, New York and Vermont -- and Washington, D.C., have a Castle law.

Florida's "stand your ground" law is at the core of the Feb. 26 shooting death of black teen Trayvon Martin by crime-watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Kentucky law allows the use of physical force if someone believes it's needed to prevent criminal trespass, robbery, or burglary in their house.

Support for Jones strong

Jones' home is not the only one that has been targeted in the area recently.

Annette Moore, who also lives on Violet Road, said thieves took a computer and TV, and again last Friday -- two days before Jones' home was burglarized -- intruders stole another computer and some of Moore's jewelry while she was out running errands. She said she didn't notice the missing computer until the next morning.

Moore said she is upset and more fearful now that she's heard about the burglary and shooting at Jones' place.

"I feel bad Mr. Jones had killed someone, but if he wounded him, I would have been cheering," she said.

Another neighbor, Keri Kaeding, and her family have lived across the street from Jones since they first moved to Boone County in 2005.

"I don't think at 92 you have to deal with that experience," Kaeding said. "I don't think anyone should."

Had a similar situation occurred at her home, Kaeding said, "We would have defended ourselves. I fully understand the choices Mr. Jones made."

Jones said his biggest concern now is getting his rifle back from the Boone County Sheriff's Department.

"I called them and told them I need my gun back," Jones said. "I need to be able to protect myself."

A neighbor has loaned Jones a 12-gauge shotgun, and Rick Collett of Dry Ridge Pawn Shop has offered a replacement rifle.

"He came in about a month ago, and he and I had a nice talk and he told me he got robbed," Collett said. "I've got a Marlin Model 60, just like the one he used, sitting right here waiting for him."

Jones said he has talked to members of Maxwell's family and he feels sympathy for them.

"They are good people," Jones said. "They told me I didn't have to explain anything to them."

Dalton and Inabnit, remained in the Boone County Jail on Tuesday charged with second-degree burglary and tampering with evidence.

2. hughb

hughb

Click the link to see a video of the murderer re-enacting the crime!

3. hughb

hughb

BWAHAHAHA! But seriously, you gotta love this old guy, he sat there in his chair and waited for the punks to come up the stairs. I would have loved to see the look on the punks face when he saw the muzzle flash.

4. This is the one problem I have with gun laws here. If you shoot a burglar here, he had better had been moving towards you with a deadly weapon in hand, otherwise, you the home owner is in deep caca.

That needs to change.

5. hughb

hughb

Seriously, click the link and watch the video. When the sheriff arrived on scene, the sheriff told the old man to put his hands up. Hey told the sheriff he is the property owner and he isn't putting his hands up.

6. Heard all about it on Bob and Tom. It is a popular Midwest morning drive show out of Indy. I was thinking, if that happened here in my state, if I was that guy, I would be in jail right now with a gun charge hanging over me. In Illinois a gun charge is one step above being a child molester. You may as well just leave the state.

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Good on, ya, RCG. I knew there was common ground we had.