90% of traders loose. Trade against yourself !

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by tntneo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Atlantic

Atlantic

if it is true that 90% of all traders lose (i believe it is), then one could see this in two separate ways:

you - as a wannabe trader - could think "wow - 90% of all traders lose - so it has to be damn hard - if not impossible - to become one of the other 10%!".

or you could see it like this: "well - 90% lose their money - so you just have to go out and take only a very little piece of this huge amount of money that is lost in the markets day by day".

ok - we know it's not THAT simple - but i guess it's going in the same direction like what Don Bright meant when he posted this elsewhere:

"Trading is as simple as you'll let it be, or as difficult as you want to make it." (thanks don).

choose for yourself, how you want to see it. it's a matter of attitude.

#31     Mar 3, 2002
  2. Cesko

Cesko

Armaniman
    An excelent post. Trying to lose is like trading with no emotions.

Yoga says: "He who renounces sees all the jewells coming to him."
    As I understand it, more you get atached to something, the harder it's going to be to get it.

It comes down to practically one sole problem in trading which is emotions, everything else is secondary.

#32     Mar 3, 2002
  3. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Armaniman, very good take on my suggestion to losing traders.
    I also appreciate darkhorse's post.
    it is very true that you can not just reverse all systems. specially when they fail because nothing works all the time.
    also, very true that some strategies aren't reversable at all.

but as I pointed out earlier in the thread (and well explained by armaniman's post), fading yourself is not fading your trades, it is fading your thinking, expectations or behaviour (depending on what you do wrong).
    if you fail, it is because of what you do, because others do succeed.

and yes 10% (or whatever the number) do live on the misfortunes of the 90%. trading and the markets are not a free money game. not everyone can win at the same time. it's impossible.

tntneo

#33     Mar 3, 2002
  4. Atlantic

Atlantic

neo,

don't get me wrong - i didn't want to tell anything about free money - i just tried to illustrate that everyone has to decide how he wants to see things.

trading is great the way it is. think about what would be if 90% win. everybody would trade - and very little money could be made.

#34     Mar 3, 2002
  5. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

hi gerry, likewise don't get me wrong. I fully agree that trading is about perception. you can see things the way you want, but the choice will greatly influence the outcome. on that side I totally agree with you.

tntneo

#35     Mar 3, 2002
  6. Strangely 90 pct. of all traders also use technical analysis.

#36     Dec 20, 2003