90 min before the open, where can I find a list of stocks Gapping up/Gapping down?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Rearden Metal, Dec 3, 2005.

1. #21     Sep 5, 2006
  2. Example attached as a smaller png file...

#22     Sep 5, 2006
  3. You're welcome.

#23     Sep 5, 2006
  4. this is the pre-market scan TI uses for finding strong gap ups (strong = at least 5% move from previous close; min avg daily vol 200k) (I use a modified version of this)

this is the post market scan for gap ups.

You're a member so you should be able to see all the symbols.
    They have a similar list for those gapping down on their site.

#24     Sep 5, 2006
  5. gaj

gaj

I wonder who the frigging genious is who fu**ed this up? Must be one of the new 'value added' services of the merger. IDIOTS.[/QUOTE]

after my posting on this a while back, i got a msg from someone who said it was very deliberate, and the thought process (that they heard about) is that if they only get a few subscribers, it will be better than before, since they won't 'lose' anything.

person did not work for ISLD/NAZ...

of course, i no longer do a deliberate decision to route through island because of this, so they're losing some small amount of money and volume that way. but hey, i've always been a proponent of giving some things away for free in the hopes that you'll get customer loyalty on other things.

#25     Sep 5, 2006
  6. gaj

gaj

i should add...

i'm now looking (as well) for an intra-day list of stocks that are biggest % gainers/losers which includes 1) those stocks below $1 and 2) those stocks which haven't traded huge amounts of shares - ie. 30k or something.

i have realtick, and they have their top % gainers which does point #2, but only has stocks above $1.

#26     Sep 5, 2006
  7. In stockfetcher, there has been a scan created "fading the gap statistics". It ranks gappers based on percentage fill (up or down) daily. This can be used to narrow a watch list daily. I hold 5 of these on a watch list (live) pre-market to see the gap direction/distance etc. I usually enter 1 or 2 of these for long/short based on the gap (daily). The filter has proved powerful in that it calculates the big movers and allows for probability calculations. Good tool.

#27     Sep 5, 2006
  8. hmmm. i like that though I can't find it on their site - is that something custom you did? Would love to see a pic of it. thanks

#28     Sep 5, 2006
  9. TheRumpledOne created it. A search for fading the gap should do it. You can customize the market to scan (NAZ 100, S&P etc., or all markets). Its a great display and can be tweaked easily to add additional indicators.

I've used "gappers" as an additional strategy the past 4 months (thanks to some great discussion on stockfetcher, mainly TheRumpledOne) The most important thing I have found is "knowing the stock and how it bahaves. For example.....AMGN, BMET, GENZ, BIIB, and SHLD are all stocks that fill the gap over 80% of the time. Those are great odds. Learn the stock and run with the behavior it indicates.

I use no inidicators except RSI (helps or hinders?), just volume, price, and a look at S/R and the pivot.

Stops? You figure this out and let us all know. I use a dollar amount as the stop as well as for my target (ie. loss $200, profit $400). All "gapper" day trades are 2:1 reward to risk for me. The only time it fails is when I deviate from my own damn rules.

Hope that helps.

#29     Sep 5, 2006
  10. From what it looks like no one here has a good site for the biggest % gappers 90 minutes before the market opens, which is what this thread was about. If you do please post a link
    (site doesn't have to be free)

Also, does anyone have any reliable sites for pre-open and after-hours charts.

Thanks in advance.

-TheActionKid

#30     Sep 5, 2006