85% Of Jobs That Will Exist In 2030 Haven’t Been Invented Yet: Dell

Discussion in 'Economics' started by OddTrader, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Q

85% Of Jobs That Will Exist In 2030 Haven’t Been Invented Yet: Dell

Get ready for a globalized workforce and a lifetime of retraining, report from Dell says.

15/07/2017

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...nted-yet-d_a_23030604/?utm_hp_ref=au-homepage

If you think the pace of change in the workplace has been fast lately, hold onto your hat. A new report published by Dell Technologies says things are about to get a lot faster.

So fast, in fact, that 85 per cent of the jobs that will exist in 2030 haven't even been invented yet, estimates the report, which was authored by the Institute for the Future (IFTF) and a panel of 20 tech, business and academic experts from around the world.

"The pace of change will be so rapid that people will learn 'in the moment' using new technologies such as augmented reality and virtual reality. The ability to gain new knowledge will be more valuable than the knowledge itself," Dell Technologies said in a statement.

In other words, get ready for a lifetime of skills training and retraining, in real time.

UQ

rockn, zdreg and Oysteryx like this.
  2. neke

neke

2030 is just 13 years away!
    People voted in Trump because the pace of change was too rapid. Are you saying we have seen nothing yet?

3. zdreg

zdreg

look at it this way.
    it is doable with possibly little dislocation.. it similar to an interest rate calculation. there are 13 years till 2030. then if new jobs are created at 5% per year the economy and people will adjust.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  4. DaveV

DaveV

Highly unlikely to happen. There are many ways to do simple math to debunk this. For example, for the past 8 years the U.S. has averaged about 200,000 new jobs per month. If we maintain that average for the next 13 years, that comes out to 200,000 * 12 * 13 = 31,200,000. So even if 100% of those new jobs has not been invented yet that is only 21% of the 146 million jobs that currently exist in the U.S.

5. Xela

Xela

Call me a skepchick, but this reminds me of the "prediction" made by Bill Gates, (in his book Business at the Speed of Thought, published in 1999) that within a decade, no business in the world (including a local corner-shop in a quiet village in any country in the world) would be able to survive without having a website.

That one turned out to be completely wrong.

In my opinion, Dell's will, as well.

Both claims, obviously, are/were based on a grain of underlying reality which addresses validly the direction in which things are moving at a societal level, but they're also so grotesquely exaggerated as to be essentially silly. Some people involved in high-tech industries hugely overestimate the speed at which societal progress is really developed.

Just my perspective.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. I think the issue is not whether 85% or 45.67% that would causes our concern.

imo, we would need to understand and/or discuss what, how, and why. Just 2 cents.

7. Sig

Sig

And 72.9% of statistics are made up!

Seriously, it's frustrating to see a quantatively exact number applied to what is really a wild ass guess about how much we don't know about what we don't know.