800k to lose jobs next year due to housing

Discussion in 'Economics' started by capmac, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Best thing I ever did for my wallet was pick up and leave NYC... nice to visit a few times a year though. And now I can afford those outrageous hotels!

#21     Dec 7, 2005
  2. #22     Dec 7, 2005
  3. I am building a home in Sacramento and I am here to stay (for the time being)
    My home is 330K and since we have influx from LA and the Bay Area I am sure I will be ok...
    People have sold down CA R/E before only to eat crow and wish they stayed.
    Lots of people with money come to Sacto from LA and Bay and move back once the dust settles and jobs kick in again.
    (yeah some leave CA and get suicidal when in Atlanta they can't find decent bread, vegetables all year around and decent coffee.....and a decent bath house and .....

#23     Dec 7, 2005
  4. I think SAC area is really the only alternative left in california that might make sense for both housing costs and quality of life. Its the last refuge for business location in the state taht makes sense and might allow employee relocation. The problem of course is that if you are buying now in SAC you are probably at the top of the market and SAC has in my opinion more percentage downside in a correction than near the coast.... but the dollar value of the correction is much less so its not as much as a problem. The BK's in a correction will be near the coast.

#24     Dec 8, 2005
  5. #25     Dec 8, 2005
  6. buy housing stocks?

#26     Dec 8, 2005
  7. This Andersen School of Business at UCLA Real Estate forecast that they put out every year has called the last 5 out of the last 0 real estate collaspes.

They may well prove to be right this time....but their record as a forecasting tool is very very poor.

Take this forecast with a mountain-sized grain of salt.

#27     Dec 8, 2005
  8. tomcole

tomcole

Yes and if their paycheck is off by 20 cents, they spend a half-day complaining to HR about it.

#28     Dec 8, 2005
  9. I just rented my house in California to a rich guy from Korea.

#29     Dec 8, 2005
  10. Kool. I rented one of my units to a family from taiwan. Too bad they aren't all moving to california .....

#30     Dec 8, 2005