80% of U.S. wealth is held by people 60 and over

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Nov 24, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

ajacobson and Nobert like this.
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

thank god i never would have been able to google this for myself - lol

3. Sig

Sig

It's hard to tell exa but it actually looks like that disparity has been getting smaller over time? It looks like the silent generation were the ones really hogging the wealth in their prime.

4. Looks pretty consistent, like the Boomers are controlling about the same share now as the silent generation 30 years ago. Of course, it's gonna get worse in 2020 as all rescue measures are benefitting the asset owners the most (the whole things is saving boomers' lives and saving their assets).

5. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Hard to tell. The farther left you go on that chart the more inaccurate it becomes. The "Silent" category either is larger and encompasses more ages at the leftmost point (most likely given the formulation "and Earlier") or comparable categories (like whoever was old then) are simply dropped from the graph.

I think they could have come up with a much cleaner chart, e.g. showing proportion of wealth of true total owned by each category as a function of its age.

6. Jeff Bezos is over 60?

damon_achey and Sig like this.
  7. Arnie

Arnie

I'm shocked that those that have worked hard and saved/invested over the past 30-50 years have more wealth than the 20-30 year old's just starting out.