80% of the time

Discussion in 'Trading' started by fordewind, Jun 16, 2017.

1. The market is trending, not ranging.Who wants to dispute?

2. Overnight

Overnight

Which market? There are many of them.

3. Ryan81

Ryan81

Markets are random.

4. I think probably any.That came from the testing i`ve been doing, playing with the execution framework of my strategy.That rather empirical, then hard math evidence.But i feel that the 'Market is 80% ranging' premise is false.

Would be great to hear from the math folks, if there really is some truth to that.

5. It`s not about that.That randomness is going somewhere anyhow, and it`s about what % it`s going vs bouncing.

6. java

java

What time frame? On how much margin? As far as I am concerned, in a cash account it's always range bound. If it's trending it's not enough to make any difference. Unless of course you have a longer time frame, like from now until retirement, and then it is always trending.
    I'm a range guy, I don't like it when it trends too much, if it does I just expand my definition of the range enough to make me comfortable.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. It's difficult to give a meaningful answer because the question itself is ambiguous and really depends on who is looking at it and at which angle or timeframe you're observing the market.

You're experiencing the market through your eyes and what may seem like a ranging market, by someone else's definition, it'll be in a trend.

I'm sure you've watched The Matrix. If so, think of it as "there is no spoon."

8. Ok, the timeframe.I`m sure it`s an old adage, and back than folks were rather Daily/Weekly/Monthly traders, as far as the timeframe goes.It would be good know who and when first said that, but i`m afraid it`s not possible to find out.

But, regardless of the TF, be it 5Min or Daily, 80% of it trending to me seems valid.

9. java

java

Well, I suppose any chart, most have a trend from the left to the right, and a few maybe 20% or less don't.

10. algofy

algofy

Pointless

#10     Jun 16, 2017