8 port video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Instant Karma, Dec 23, 2005.

1. gnome

gnome

"Quadro" is part of the name of high powered workstation cards... like for CAD/CAM. "Quadro NVS" is a dualhead. My guess is that Nvidia chose the "NVS" name to capitalize on the known brand, though it appears to suggest "quad" and therefore perhaps be contradictory or misleading.

#11     Dec 23, 2005
  2. ozzy

ozzy

What's with the 16-Port cards? Anyone ever hear of the PCI slot?

#12     Dec 23, 2005
  3. gnome

gnome

Wouldn't all those monitors piping thorough one PCI slot overload it?

#13     Dec 23, 2005
  4. gnome

gnome

The Quadro NVS 280 would be an excellent choice for anyone's trading rig.. up to 1600 x 1200.

#14     Dec 23, 2005
  5. Which 16 port card a you talking about?

#15     Dec 23, 2005
  6. ozzy

ozzy

Last time I checked, most mobos came with more than 1 x PCI slot. What I'm trying to say is why not use more than 1 Video card? Are these multi-port cards really worth it?

#16     Dec 23, 2005
  7. Understood. But you can't keep cramming 2 port cards in a system to build a 12 monitor setup!

#17     Dec 23, 2005
  8. ozzy

ozzy

True you got me !!

Although I think the new mobos should be able to handle it. 2 x PCI-X + 4 x PCI slots.

Back to trading.

#18     Dec 23, 2005
  9. bighog

bighog Guest

I have run 4, 2 head cards in the past. 1 was agp, naturally, then the 3 other ones were 2 head pci cards, NVIDIA NVS QUADRO, all ran trouble free with lcd screens.

here is why i would never buy those 4 head or 8 head cards, first they cost a ton, second if one croaks where are you? The 2 head cards are cost efficient and one croaking will not leave you screenless...............:)

Now, i run just 3 cards for the charts, 1 agp, 2 pci all dual heads. Next pc will be the new pci-e, etc.

PS, Microsoft says XP can handle 10 screens and never skip a beat. I recommend as gnome says : the nvs 280 or nvs 285 quadro cards, they are used also by some top trading floors on the street.............

#19     Dec 23, 2005
  10. cmaxb

cmaxb

They are great. Stick with all Nvidia and use the latest drivers.

As for why no four-port, it seems Nvidia has not updated their quad for quite some time. Still only outputs 1280x1024 through DVI.

#20     Dec 23, 2005