8 flat screens, one computer and a question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lar, Feb 19, 2007.

1. dinoman

dinoman

Well if you believe that, try it out and endure my past experiences. You will then learn the tree of CPU circumstances.

#21     Feb 19, 2007
  2. lar

lar

Thanks Gnome,

I am a real rookie when it comes to this so I appreciate your insights. It makes my homework and research more focused. Gottta love Wikipedia though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#PVA

I'll spend a bit more time comparing and I'll probably pop down to CompUSA to compare the quality of them with my own eyes. Maybe I will want to pay up for the better quality MVA or PVA. It is my intention for this particular system to keep me happy for 5+ years.

Peace and gtty,
    Lar

#22     Feb 20, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

MVA, PVA, S-PVA, and S-IPS are the quality panels... they are few and far between at the Big Box Retailers... unfortunately, they mostly carry cheapo monitors with TN Panels... gotta compete on "lowest cost" basis, you know.

#23     Feb 20, 2007
  4. lar

lar

Hi Gnome,

Can you think of anyplace I could see them side by side?

#24     Feb 20, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

That's a toughie... you need to know which monitors have which panel, then check them out at Best Buy and Micro Center... CompUSA and Circuit City usually have limited selection.

You probably can't rely upon the floor staff to know the diff.

#25     Feb 20, 2007
  6. lar

lar

Maybe I'll just go ahead and take a closer look at the TFNs and see if that quality is acceptable (for now). It they'll get 'er done then maybe I can put more focus on the 'Puter requirements.

Know of a smart Hotrod purchase that'll keep performing reasonably for the next few years?

#26     Feb 20, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

I presume you meant 'TFTs'... well, they are ALL TFTs... 90% of the LCDs in Big Box retailers have TN panels... good for gamers and low prices, less good for everything else.

#27     Feb 20, 2007
  8. lar

lar

Yep. TFTs

Sometimes I am not the quickest study but once I "get it" I usually keep it.

TFT (Thin Film "T"ransistor)

Not

TFN (Thin Film "N"ot too sure what the hell I was thinking 'bout)

:cool:

#28     Feb 20, 2007
  9. Have you set it up yet? I'd love to see a picture if you did.

#29     Feb 24, 2007
  10. TFN...sound like one of Turners new ventures no?

#30     Feb 24, 2007