8.5 Gb DVD-RW media really exist?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernard111, Dec 16, 2005.

1. MRWSM

MRWSM

After terabyte theres petabyte then exabyte. So 1.5 exabytes is like 1,500,000 terabytes. A race to see who can cram more info on one DVD type disc.

#11     Dec 17, 2005
  2. If I store information on these discs will that degrade in 50 years?

#12     Dec 17, 2005
  3. #13     Dec 17, 2005
  4. Thanks...

Holographic data storage is superior to existing disc and hard drive technologies, and is also competitive against tape technologies in capacities and transfer rate. In addition, it offers a 50+ year media archive life and random data access. Finally, the media is expected to have the lowest cost per gigabyte of any commercial quality removable storage.

#14     Dec 17, 2005
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

#15     Dec 18, 2005
  6. We have to wait 100 years before this comes out on the market? I'd be long gone by then... I'd be at least 127yo then. Maybe they should focus on expanding the length of human life before they invent that disc aye?

#16     Dec 18, 2005
  7. DVD players are a dime a dozen. Blueray players will not be mainstream for a quite a while. The cost of the players is drastically different. And, you would need to get 2 - one for home entertainment, and a WRITER for the computer, which isn't going to be cheap. The BlueRay media is not likely to be in the price range of the DVD+/-R or even DL DVD+/-R for years.

While you are waiting years for the technology to be affordable, or even available, I can get a DL DVD+/-R drive for under $40 and I can blank media for under 0.30 for single layer or just barely over a dollar for DL.

There is always going to be something new coming out "soon". In this case, I don't see any legitimate argument to wait for it.

Need to see the DL discs in the $40 for 50 pack range for that to become more than just a marketing ploy to sell computers. Right now every drive is touted as Dual Layer, but I am yet to see a single person actually write a DL disc

#17     Dec 18, 2005
  8. I don't know about the Blueray writers, but the new Sony Playstation 3 thats coming out Spring 2006 will be released with the Blueray disc drive so you can watch your movies thru that. Its coming out to be around the same price as the Xbox 360, $299 without the hard drive and $399 with the 20 Gb hard drive and other things like a remote and a wireless controller.

#18     Dec 18, 2005
  9. game machines are usually sold at a loss on the machine itself. Even so, that price is way higher than what DVD players are currently being sold at. I can pick up a simple DVD player for $40 at Fry's

And having a player without having the media to play on it is worthless. It will take a while to get it to critical mass

#19     Dec 18, 2005
  10. I think a lot of manufacturers would be relunctant to switch to Bluerays given the fact that the 1.7 Terabyte disc will be available later that same year, making the Blueray technology absolete within 6 months.

#20     Dec 18, 2005